Has anyone ever painted the deck of their Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucktail

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My boat is going on its fourth year, and the deck is started to show some wear and tear on the gelcoated surface. Stains that don't seem to come out etc. Structurally wise, the deck is in excellent shape.

What I want to know is. has anyone painted the deck of their Parker before? I have heard of people using some type of urethane paint with excellent results. After being painting, the deck is suppose to be much easier to clean up, and virtually no stains.

If anyone has info please forward...

Thanks,

Bucktail

My boat had a very slick deck so I had my deck redone last spring. I chose to have it re-gell coated with a little more aggressive nonskid so I didnt have to repaint. It cost a little more but will save on work and maintenance in the long run. My father painted the deck in his last boat. It just needs to be redone every few years. It looked nice when freshly done though.

Bucktail,

I have a 1998 Parker and this has always been an issue with the non-skid. I think any good non-skid application is prone to holding stains. If you paint or urethane over the non-slid is may become slick.

This is what I do. 2 or 3 times a season, I scrub the heck out of the deck with Soft Scrub with Bleach. While the deck is still wet, I apply MaryKate Cleaning Detail Deck Cleaner which actually waxes the deck if applied heavily.

I still have the original non-skid on my 1998 and it still looks good.

B-Faithful":1kho5q4t said:
if you add sand to the paint it doesnt become slick...

But it's murder on bare feet. Awlgrip makes a product called Griptex that comes in fine, coarse and extra coarse granules. If I'm not mistaken, the Griptex doesn't have the jagged edges that sand has so it's easier on your feet.

That being said, I much prefer a gelcoat non-skid. For one thing as it wears it just exposes new surface that's the same color as what wore off. Paint with sand or other type of non-skid additive will expose the color of the additive as the paint wears off. It easier to do than many think. I've master both the diamond and "splatter" non-skid patterns with relatively little practice. Descriptions of how to do both are in the following threads I posted to www.greatgrady.com.

Diamond...

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1281

IMG_0619.jpg

Splatter...

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5230

IMG_6997.jpg

Other people I have spoken to did their non-skid with a spray on bedliner type product such as Line-X.

Hey guys,

Sorry that I didn't get around to responding earlier. I have been busy the last few days. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

B-Faithful - Can you recall what product your father was using on his deck?

Megabyte - Yes, some basic wear and tear and slight discoloration. Non-Skid is still in good shape. The wear seems to show on the cockpit floor where you stand behind the center console.

Blue-Sky - I have tried just about everything you mentioned including pressure washing. Maybe I am just too much of a perfectionist? When we go out and fish, the boat gets bloody with ground in foot marks from the blood and bait left on the deck. 99% percent comes up fairly well, but after 4 years, it is starting to get a little tired looking.

gw204 - I still have not ruled out gel-coat yet. You made some good points about the gel-coat holding its color after being scratched though.

Thanks,

Bucktail

my father was just using an epoxy deck paint. i believe you can buy it at boaters world or worst marine. It can be murder on your feet and tough to clean if you add too much sand. However the key is to add enough to where the deck isnt slippery and not so much that it is tough on your feet. I remember a summer where it was too much and another where it was not enough. However He found the right balance most the time to where the deck wasnt overly slippery and yet not like sand paper.

Before you paint, try pouring some liquid bleach on the floor (straight out of a gallon bottle) and spread it around with a deck brush.
Let it sit for an hour or more, then rinse lightly. Any residual bleach won't hurt the gelcoat and will continue to lighten any stains in conjunction with sunlight.

The bleach won't do anything to help with the worn areas, but it has always worked for me to clean my deck. I use it all the time as I'm a bit particular too. :)

gw204":3r5t82je said:
Megabyte":3r5t82je said:
I'm a bit particular too. :)

No....you think so?!?!?!? :D
Yup, for he spells 'particular' with 4 letters ... a n a l.

Now just don't any of you go using that word here, of I'll have to censor you :wink: !

try some awlgrip...sand the deck down,prime it out in a good quality 2 part primer,roll out the awlgrip...personally,i like "00" blasting sand for a non skid...throw down some sand on top of the awlgrip,let it kick for a few min's...then roll it out again,try to get 3 coats on it...this will provide a slick surface,that won't hold dirt,and it will provide exceliient non skid...here's a few pics...
this is a 25 grady,it was at my shop for some serious up grading...

Attachments

• 101_1862 (Small).JPG
    101_1862 (Small).JPG
    17 KB · Views: 1,504
  • 101_1860 (Small).JPG
    101_1860 (Small).JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,505
  • 101_1882 (Small).jpg
    101_1882 (Small).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,504
  • 101_1881 (Small).jpg
    101_1881 (Small).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,504
I painted my deck dark gray a few years ago.
Got tired of cleaning stains off the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_44.jpg
    IMG_0001_44.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,422
Look into using Durabak 18 in lots of color choices. I did the floor of my 18 Parker and it turned out nice. I think there is a thread about this on the fourm and I enclosed photos.

pelagic2530":p8fecc9s said:
hey jimmy, you wouldnt happen to be Jawz over on the Barn, would you? :D

that would be me :wink: :wink:

didn't you and i discuss your electrical system ???

jimmy's marine service":1wukud8i said:
pelagic2530":1wukud8i said:
hey jimmy, you wouldnt happen to be Jawz over on the Barn, would you? :D

that would be me :wink: :wink:

didn't you and i discuss your electrical system ???

yes, i believe we did. i ended up weeding through the spaghetti a bit better and shaping things up, but the switche are still set up the same way. might have to get you to set her up right sometime, its a bit over my head :oops: :wink:

I used the interlux perfection and spread Awlgrip Coarse nonskid on it. I took my time and it came out very nice.

The trick is to tape and outlight everything so it does look like a big painted deck.

Just my 2 cents.

canal3.jpg

canal6.jpg

canal7.jpg

Back