Has anyone removed captain's chair?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It even comes in the parker off-white color......a little pricey but so worth it....it just slides over your existing post, tighten the bolt and your in business

Looks great, and very functional too! Too bad it looks like a standard Post was used, as you could have the envy of all if you swapped out the rigid for a shock-mitigating post!
Who made the upper leaning pad, and how wide is it? We'd be interested in carrying something like that, as it looks like it has a small footprint. With a spider/slider, you could even slide it sideways for additional walking room.

Not much different than a rigid post. The Seaspension pedestal is made strong enough to absorb lateral loads. In fact, we did something unique when we engineered the Post, in that we urethane bonded the inner tube to the base casting. This provides for a small measure of horizontal shock-absorbency. Standard rigid pedestals are normally swedged in the casting, where they force-expand the tube into the base to lock it in. This actually provides a weak area, as the metal is stretched out near the neck of the base casting. In the case of rigid pedestals, this is normally not an issue because no one wants to sit on a rigid pedestal when the pounding gets bad, but we wanted people to sit, rather than take the pounding through the legs.
We have also prototyped an off-set wedge, which mounts underneath the pedestal (same footprint), and projects the pedestal at a forward angle. We haven't had much call for it as we don't really promote it, so it sits in the shop as 'just another great idea that didn't go anywhere' :wink: . The thought behind that one however, was to get your derriere against the seat pad, and when shock load forces your body down and back, it compresses the pedestal through the shock-damper (so you don't get a hard poke in the you know what). It takes a slightly lighter coil-over spring to make it all work, because ideally you are spreading the load out over your legs and seat. It was mostly designed for those guys who just don't sit down, and want to lean against something that would give instead of being rigid. I can send some pictures if you are interested, or maybe want to sign up to use in a seatrial. Just let me know. Thanks.

Ooohh. An option for those guys who just can't sit down while navigating.

I know how to get Grouper Jim's attention now...

I have attached a picture of the wedge mounted pedestal, which has a 7 degree offset.
The conventionally mounted (upright) post provides for some lateral give, but does not give enough where you go through the travel stroke as if you were sitting on it. Conversely, the offset mounted post is designed to lean against it, and does go through the travel stroke when standing, but is not really designed to sit on it. I guess it is one of those things where you have to pick your poison.

BUT WAIT - do I see a potential here for a device which mounts on top of our standard (upright) mounted post which also travels back through a damper system when leaning horizontally against it? Is there a call for such a thing? I'd like to know more from those of you who have made it a sport to lean against a seat, and just might want to sit down also. Let me know.

Attachments

• Offset wedge Post1.jpg
    Offset wedge Post1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Offset wedge Post1.jpg
    Offset wedge Post1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 172
Back