hatteras 3/20/2010

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrGeeze

Reaction score
Many of you know Hatteras has been a good place to catch tuna this winter. the bluefin bite has been good for a couple of months and it seems like the yellowfin are starting to turn on. Vertical jigging for blackfins is all the rage.

Weather and work (the dreaded w's) have kept the bad betty on a trailer under the house for too long. Yesterday was just too pretty a day so we swept out the dust & splashed her at Teach's Lair Marina for the first trip of 2010.

It was a beautiful morning at 50 degrees and winds N 5-10. Almost slack tide at the inlet made it easy getting out. I noticed all the boats heading east so I headed south. As we rolled over the Rockpile i read 52 degrees for the water temp. Ugly green water. Kept rolling south 5 more miles & found the color change & 70degree water. Pulled 'em back in 110 fathoms & set out our baits. As i was dropping back old reliable (blue & white sea star) something grabbed it & took off. Big Backlash. That cleared & it did it again. One more time. finally the fish left & at least i got my lure back. My buddy Rich did a much better job than I did and was hooked solid. A few minutes later I invited a 45lb yellowfin aboard. The skunk was out of the box.

I joked that we should head in immediately as we had enough sushi & steaks for all. My buddy wanted to fish more. I should have exercised my authority as captain. We fished for hours against 3 knots of current toward the triple zeros without a bite. We came back inshore & fished on the change in 50 fathoms & had a couple of knockdowns & caught a giant false albacore. But no more tuna.

We picked 'em up early & got home & cleaned up before dark. Cut some sashimi & cooked some tuna steaks on the grill. Beer & wine Life is good

Normally I loosen my drags after every trip.. Today i learned its good to tighten them just a bit before you set out your baits. Oh well.

Mr G - good to read one of your reports again - looks like the 2010 season is off to a good start for you with a 45 lb YFT - that's very nice - the dolphin should be there in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to make my first trip out of Charleston in April so send some yellows down here...

Nice to see your report again. Pulling the cover off the old Parker this weekend (late start). Gonna try to get her back to the banks this summer. (Hopefully before the big storms this time) GL fishing.

Back