Hello from St Pete

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave11

Reaction score
My next boat will be a basic pilothouse. I am not interested in a fancy boat. I want something I can hose down the blood and mud and be done with it. The Parkers are high on my list. 99% of my time on the water is by myself. I'm getting ready to retire and am looking for another boat that I can (hopefully) get my wife to spend some time on. I also want a smooth riding boat. I want to sight see. It is nice to crank it up once in a while, but most of the time I like to cruise (on plane) slowly. I also like to run off shore 15-30 miles. Will hopefully get the Better Half to overnight sometimes. I am interested in the 23 and 25s. I've never been on a Parker, so all suggestions will be welcome and helpful.

Welcome aboard Dave!

Take awhile and peruse the forums for more information and photos on 23 and 25 sport cabin models that you can comfortably read in one sitting. :wink:

As you will read, the DV (21*) models will run softer in rough water, but take more power to push, along with a higher speed to keep on plane.
The MV (16*) models can be fitted with lower HP single motors, and with up-sized trip tabs they can remain on plane at lower speeds.

The challenge will be deciding which hull type suits your needs better.
Take a sea trial with your dealer or maybe hook up for a ride with one of our members. :wink:

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Megabyte":ramonqag said:
Take a sea trial with your dealer or maybe hook up for a ride with one of our members. :wink:

Good luck with whatever you decide!

You've got at least 3-4 guys in St. Pete who can help you out.

I've got the 2520 mod V and Grouper Jim has the 2320 deep V.

In our choppy bay waters, that Deep V sure is nice. However, if you are just going to be puttin around most of the time, the mod v is fine.

I would be more than happy to take you out on mine.

Send me a pm with your phone number.

TheOtherLine":x9jkdzem said:
You've got at least 3-4 guys in St. Pete who can help you out.

I've got the 2520 mod V and Grouper Jim has the 2320 deep V.

You are in luck. Those are two of the nicest boats represented here!

Thanks for the response. That is good info on the larger tabs, Megabyte.
Sent you a PM, TheOtherLine.

Thanks, Joe. that is what I am leaning toward. I have lots of criteria the boat has to meet along with the inevitable trade-offs.

lklandpier":1x0l68hr said:
If you are looking for a Parker to overnight on (especially with the wife) I would opt for the larger cabin on the 25' PH

Slightly smaller ballroom on the extended cabin but, very nice to have a settee, stove and whatever else it comes with.

TheOtherLine":3381nedu said:
Slightly smaller ballroom on the extended cabin but, very nice to have a settee, stove and whatever else it comes with.

Even more room in the wheel house for the Admiral in the 34. :wink:

IMG_9130_c1%20Pilothouse%203.jpg

The extra space in the extended cabin would be nice, but the 2530 has a deep V. I would prefer the Mod V. Can I get a 2520 with the extended cabin?

dave11":1p2lu8vb said:
The extra space in the extended cabin would be nice, but the 2530 has a deep V. I would prefer the Mod V. Can I get a 2520 with the extended cabin?

nope, the 2530 IS the 2520 with the extended cabin, same hull, different house. is there any particular reason why you'd prefer the mod-v? because i can tell you from personal experience (i have a deep v 2530) i have NEVER felt as if i needed a more stable platform. the mod-vs must be truly impressive, because it would be difficult to get any more stable than my 2530. and the ride of a deep v is going to be far superior to the mod v in pretty much every scenario. with a mod v hull, your only options are 1) stick with the smaller house 2) a tent 3) alot of custom work :?

One of the reasons I am interested in the mod-V is the ability to plane at a lower speed and have less weight on the stern. I also think that the mod-V will handle better at displacement speeds.

So, pelagic, I guess 1) I'll stick with the smaller pilothouse 2) I'll get bimini or an Sunbrella enclosure 3) I have no intention of doing much custom work, otherwise I could just go out and buy an express cruiser. I want it simple.

dave11":3ulct2pc said:
One of the reasons I am interested in the mod-V is the ability to plane at a lower speed and have less weight on the stern. I also think that the mod-V will handle better at displacement speeds.

So, pelagic, I guess 1) I'll stick with the smaller pilothouse 2) I'll get bimini or an Sunbrella enclosure 3) I have no intention of doing much custom work, otherwise I could just go out and buy an express cruiser. I want it simple.

ok, i gotcha. that does make sense. we have twin 150s and thats about perfect power, dont need much more, but wouldnt want any less. a mod-v will be able to use less engine and probably handle better. didnt think of those :wink:

dave11":towuz95v said:
What is the difference between the 2520SL and the 2520XL?

SL - Open Transom, motor on transom. 150 gal fuel.
XL - Closed Transom, motor on bracket. 173 gal fuel.

pelagic2530":2fi0dz2a said:
dave11":2fi0dz2a said:
I also think that the mod-V will handle better at displacement speeds.

Dave, I'd be careful about making that assumption, especially in the waters in and around Tampa Bay.

You really need to arrange to get out with Grouper Jim on his 2320DV and my 2520MV, on a day with a small chop. You might be surprised.

Dave11

I have a 2520Xl 2008 with a single 250 and it does well for me and is very stable in most conditions. I only wanted to mention an OEM Sunbrella Bimini is a must. It is easy to use/takedown and the breeze that flows through is fabulous. We were out last summer on 98 degree day with high hummidity and under the bimini we sat in captains chairs and very comfortable. Also an Anchor Windlass! Cant live without!!

Good Luck
Catfish

TheOtherLine":br5s9nlr said:
pelagic2530":br5s9nlr said:
dave11":br5s9nlr said:
I also think that the mod-V will handle better at displacement speeds.

Dave, I'd be careful about making that assumption, especially in the waters in and around Tampa Bay.

You really need to arrange to get out with Grouper Jim on his 2320DV and my 2520MV, on a day with a small chop. You might be surprised.

I know the DVs handle great on plane, but I have heard they wallow more and are harder to control at slow speed off plane like in low/no wake areas and while docking. My impression is that the mod-Vs handle better off plane.

Catfish":2tszcex0 said:
Dave11

I have a 2520Xl 2008 with a single 250 and it does well for me and is very stable in most conditions. I only wanted to mention an OEM Sunbrella Bimini is a must. It is easy to use/takedown and the breeze that flows through is fabulous. We were out last summer on 98 degree day with high hummidity and under the bimini we sat in captains chairs and very comfortable. Also an Anchor Windlass! Cant live without!!

Good Luck
Catfish

Those are two options I will absolutely be getting. At my age, staying comfortable and out of the sun are important criteria for my boat.

Back