HELLO

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrogdon5

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Derek and I am new to this site. I am a young guy (23) with a wife and two children. (I know what you're thinking, why the heck did I start so early?) Well I love my life and I love FISHING especially with the family. I have been in the market for a parker 2520 but can not seem to find the right deal at the moment. Does anyone have any insight that might be beneficial to me? Regarding the Boat of course! I would need to finance the boat I don't really carry 40k in my pocket. Anyways hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. Thank you in advance for your insight! :D

Hello. Forgive me for giving some old man advice. I just happen to be about 3 times older than you. My advice is to look for a used Parker and WAIT. You've got soccer games and baseball and dance and parent teacher meetings that will take a bunch of weekends. So no matter how much you think your boat will be a family priority it probably won't. Besides that you know BOAT means "break out another thousand." I think a boat is a great family hobby, but prepare for the norm. Good luck and I wish you the best.

I disagree, find the boat you want and get those kids out on the water as much as possible.

There are some great boats for sale right on this site in the forsale section.

The kids will thank you for it later in life.

Yep I grew up on a boat and I am grateful every day my parents raised me in that life style because I would not have what I have today if they didn't. I had my first boat at the age of 15 a 15ft Boston Whaler, and it just kept growing from there. I am now 29 married (no kids) but my wife and I enjoy the boat and im glad to have gotten her involved in the life style as well.
Buy a boat put the family on it and enjoy the life!! :mrgreen:

Welcome...I have two little girls (4 & 2) and expecting my third child this July. I had a boat prior to them being born and upgraded from a 21 CC to a 23 pilot house just last year. They enjoy the boat as much as I do, going for rides, anchoring up and having lunch, etc and look forward teaching them water skiing in a year or two.

It is true about the expense of one but the enjoyment of family time on the water is worth it to me.

Hi Derek

We started with a 14' Seanymph fishing boat (still have it!) and a Lightning sailboat (total lost due to a flood). Later we bought the 2320 without going into debt. Just keeep checking this site, all of Craigs list, eBay, Yachtworld, Boatrader and call (emails may not be answered) local dealers for deals. They are out there without spending a fortune and you might to travel some to find the right Parker or other boat

This Xmas, I bought an inflatable kayak for the family and everyone loves it. Our kids took swimming lessons at a public school and the instructors were excellent

Have fun with your family now with everyone's activities. You dont know what is around the next corner. My kids are older but we still like to boat, fish, swim, camp and cruise together except now, everyone is the Captain. ha!

Derek... Welcome aboard! :)

Now... go up to the top of the page where you will find a link to the 'User Control Panel'.
There you will find a field to put in your... Location.

Having that information available makes it easier for people near you to assist in your search.
It doesn't help much for me to tell you about a 'local' boat for sale if you are located on the west coast. :wink:

Welcome again and enjoy CP!

Guys...Derek sat there for almost a month with out a reply. When I went negative on the boat concept, it brought out the best in all the Parker guys. Actually, I agree with all the positive comments. I was wrong. A little old man grumpy that evening. So much of it has to do with where you live and what surrounded you in the process. I grew up in Pittsburgh,where the rivers were dirty and the barges were many. Had I grown up on the ocean, maybe I would have learned what so many of you guys have in your blood. So Derek, go for it! The kids will love it. I hope to put my grandson on my boat soon, and I hope he remembers it well someday.

Short answer:
Maybe Kayak fishing or a lake boat would be just as much fun for the family?

Long answer:
I was going to agree with Rumrunner, until he back peddled. From my experience I have never met a 23 year old that is pulling down enough cash to support a wife and two kids while saving for retirement, a house, two cars and college money for two in the long term, while also having enough short term money to pay for after school sports activities, ballet class, music lessons, braces, medical expenditures, dental care, football, a family dog and vacations. (Did you know that if you put $40,000 into a retirement fund today at age 23 you could have over $1,000,000.00 by age 65?)

I know we live in a world where we want what we want and we will go into debt to get it, but it’s just not good sound advice. Sure you could get a used parker if you take out a loan for $40,000 at say 7% over what 10 years? That’s a monthly payment of $464.43 with a total payback of $55,732.29 accounting for the total interest payback of $15,732.29. (What else could I do with that money? Put a down payment on a house! Put the kids thru college! Buy that new washer and dryer? Get a car, truck or van?)

Now I could be wrong, maybe you and your wife who are in your early 20’s somehow where the smart ones, you went to college and got good jobs and are each pulling down 75K a year for a total of $150K total a year. If this is the case GO FOR IT! But if your pulling in 25K to 30K each for a total of $50 to $60K a year, save the money for the house, sports, vacations, cars, and repairs, not to mention taking care of elderly parents and their needs when the time comes.

Have you heard how the government is printing money and devaluing the dollar and holding down interest rates? Well it’s true. What people don’t seem to understand is the other side of the coin, to get that money back (the stuff they printed) all they have to do is raise interest rates. (The interest is pulled from the equation and taken out of circulation basically) Thus causing the dollar to increase in value. When this happens it makes the price of things go up (aka: inflation) Now because of the current economic climate we have been printing a ton of money so within the next few years (government says they will hold rates low until 2014) we will need to raise interest rates. That means the home loan today at 3.5% will someday be a rate of 20% (this is hyper inflation) Milk, bread, food, gas, chicken, hotdogs, you name it…the price will shoot up! Manufactures will say the cost of shipping has gone up, a bad crop, no feed, 15 percent ethanol blah blah blah, but the fact is by 2014 every six weeks the federal interest rate will increase .25 points until your eyes shoot out of your head!

This should be no problem for someone with a house, (3.25% fixed loan on $300K) a car ($35K fixed at $4.75%) and a secure job (75K a year with health benefits). But for the rest of America, the 23 million people without jobs or the 100 million working in low wage areas…it’s not gonna be pretty. And when you try to sell that boat you paid $40K for that’s over ten years maybe 15 years old to people who can’t afford to put food on the table, forget about it, Bad investment. My advice, look at the smaller 2120 Parker, it’s towable, so no docking fees and better on gas. :p

I bought my first "new" boat when I was 21yrs old (18ft Sea Hunt)! Even though I was far far far from having two kids and mortgage, I made it work... My point is, I am sure he knows what he can and cannot get into, financially speaking. If it's a Parker that he wants, there is one out there that will fit his needs and budget! I bought my first boat when I was 16 years old (1968 sportcraft)...now with a son of my own, I am guiding him down that same path! The sooner the better! :)

Go get your Parker buddy!

Back