HELP! 1989 2520 Front windshield needs replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirfixalot

Reaction score
Went to the boat the other day to find my portside front windshield totally spider cracked...glass is still in place, but all cracked like how auto glass breaks. Im guessing a seagull dropped a clam or something on it...seems to have stemmed from where the weld is on the frame, like something hit it there....thats the only thing i can come up with..

Obviously need to get it fixed...probabily cheaper to get fixed locally than go thru parker to get a piece of glass...thing is, i have NO idea how to even get it apart to do so...I know i gotta tape the whole piece of glass to get it out without making a total mess, but thats it.

Anyone have any experience with this...advice,tips,tricks??

Ill try to post some pix after work.

Id take the whole window frame and all down to your local glass place. Based on the year of your boat im assuming you have Wynn windows. In that case its just a matter of taking the screws out on the top side of the window.

Older Parkers don't have Aluminium frames,only rubber gaskets like a auto windshield.(I have a 88' 2520 Sou'wester)

If you have Wynne windows,
If I buy Wynne windows, will replacement glass be available only through Wynne?

No. Wynne uses industry standard glass. Replacement glass may be fabricated at hundreds of local glass shops nationwide.

Must I use the same glass for every window in my order?

No. You may choose the glass type and tint for each individual window.

Are all Wynne windows glazed with safety glazing?

Yes. Each customer may choose laminated safety, tempered safety, polycarbonate or acrylic.

Does Wynne recommend one type of safety glass be used in all Wynne windows?

No. The customer should choose the type and thickness of safety glass based on USCG regulations, ABS regulations and a careful study of the working environment for each window.

What is the basic difference between laminated safety and tempered safety?

Laminated Safety Glass-Two lts. of plate glass with a vinyl inner layer.(Modern American Car Windshield)
Tempered Safety Glass-One lt. of plate glass that has been heat treated to add strength and safety qualities. (Modern American Car Side Windows)

What are the advantages and disadvantages of laminated safety glass?

Advantages:

Generally remains in place when broken.
Less expense.
Fast replacement when broken.

Disadvantages:

Relatively easy to break.
Graylite 14 not available.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of tempered safety glass?

Advantages:

Much greater impact resistance than laminated.
Availability of graylite 14. (limo tint)

Disadvantages:

More expensive than laminated.
Shatters into small pieces when broken.
Longer lead time to replace when broken.

http://www.wynneinc.com/FAQ_s/faq_s.html

Back