Help! How to mount a transom rod holder on a 2520XL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrp21122

Reaction score
First let me say that this is my first post on CP, but I follow this forum constantly. What a great forum for Parker owners and I contantly learn from you guys! Keep up the great communication...it really helps those of us that are relatively new to boat owernship.

I would like to mount two Taco Triple rod holders on my transom, but I am a little hesitant to drill into my boat....

I am most perplexed with what to use to mount the holders. I thougt it would be best to use SS bolts, but on the 2008 2520XL, the fish box is almost flush up against the inside of the transom and I will not be able to get my hand up there to tighten the nuts on the bolts. Should I go all the way through to the fish box and bolt it there? Maybe put some type of support bracket in the fish box? If I go all the way through to the fish box, where can I find stainless steel bolts long enough? Or.....heaven forbid...should I not do this at all? I really want the addtional rod holders.

I am going to try to post some pics here to show you what I mean....I hope they show up.

Attachments

• Boat 015x2.JPG
    Boat 015x2.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 444
I couldn't get the second photo to load, so I am trying it again. This is the inside view of the boat showing how the fish box pushes up against the transom and there IS NO ROOM to get your hand behind it to put nuts on any bolt....

You talking about these?

imagemagic.php

I would go with something like this and lag bolt it, the transom is very thick there. Bolts would be best if you can get at them.

taco_transom_4_mount_rod_holder.jpg

I am definitely going with the bigger heavy duty Taco's. They are pretty nice…fully adjustable to get just the angle you need off the back of the transom. The problem is that I cannot get to the end of the bolts to put the nuts on it unless I go all the way through the transom and through to the fish box and bolt it inside the fish box. The fiber glass inside the fish box is NOT the thickest in the world, so I’m not sure if that would hold appropriately.
Would stainless steel screws work and just screw into the transom? Any idea how thick the transom is?
I have tried repeatedly to load another picture that shows the dilemma…but for whatever reason I cannot get another photo to load.

i would avoid through bolting into the fishbox. the fishbox is a liner that is inside the transom, and unless you find a way to insert a "spacer" between the transom and the outside of the fishbox liner, you run the risk of compressing them together when you tighten the bolts and cracking the fishbox. also, the install wont be structurally sound due to the same space issue (e.g., the bolt would be placing all the strain on the fishbox liner). i would agree with the lag bolt idea with stainless lagbolts.

Back