Help ! Lenco replacement blades fell apart?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pparke

Reaction score
I up graded my trim tabs with 12X18 blades on my 2510 and the other day I noticed that the port blade was dangleing. After further inspection I found that the hinge pin was gone. There was a rust stain at the hinge. Did the pin rust away, the tabs are less than 6 months old. Did Lenco not use stainless steel for pins? Anybody else have the same problem? I noticed that the other side also has the same rust deposits at the hinge. I found some 1/8 inch brass pins that might fix the problem any help would be great. The old lenco blades I took off 6 months ago had been on the boat for 6 years with no sign of wear. paul

no they did not but zincs are close on the motor and bracket

pparke":1a4tv9ja said:
no they did not but zincs are close on the motor and bracket

You need zincs.The ones on the motor are not helping your tabs they need to be on the tabs. That should slow down the corrosion.

I'd call Lenco direct. I had very informative discussions with them when I went to the larger Lenco tabs last year and they extended all the time I needed to get comfortable with the process. I would be surprised if they did not either help you directly or give you good advice. Last number I had for them: 772-288-2662.

Lenco tabs are 304 SS but when they form that welded piano-type hinge arrangement, the area where welded loses the carbon in the weldment area. Bennett tabs used to be made like this when 1st designed 50+ years ago. Bennett switched to the bent-hinge design as a superior hinge method. I have seen new Lencos, like ParkerSal's I believe, fall off within a ~year's service.

That said, Lenco should replace them so you'll be back in service. Could also be lots of stray current around your marina.

my Lenco spot welds were busy rusting away so i switched to the superior Bennet blade/hinge design. bullet-proof now.

the Lenco actuators work just fine with the Bennet blades. i actually prefer the feel of the electric actuators to the Bennet hydraulic ones.

Thanks for the help and advice. I went in the water yesterday and put the tabs back on using a coathanger for now and added zincs to the tabs. I hope this will last until I either get new tabs or new pins. I really dont want to pay for a haulout in the middle of the season. The old pins has disentigrated at the joint of each hinge piece.

Dale, I agree with you very much I would bet anything he has a very bad electrolysis problem from either his boat an electrical wire on the dock in the water or the boat next to him.

H

Back