Help!! Seatow Ride home on an 05 225 Yami 4 stroke

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aircoastie

Reaction score
Its the Parker's first Seatow ride home!! Embarrassing considering I am a Coast Guard pilot!!!

Could any of you help me diagnose the problem. Running about 4400 rpm when I noticed that I am slowly loosing power. I put a little more throttle into it and she starts to cough, surge, and quickly loose power. Pull back a bit and she stops coughing, but continues to loose power. I come off plane and rev her up in neutral, runs smooth. Try putting her in gear again and I can't even get on plane!! By the minute she got worse until I couldn't even put it in gear or rev it up in neutral. Thinking I had a clogged fuel filter, I had one of the guys prime the bulb to fill the secondary filter on the engine. It seemed to help a little, but still bogged down.

Got towed home. After sitting awhile, she will start and idle fine. Put a little load on her she will bog down and the problem repeats itself. Got a new filter today. Went to the ramp and put a load on the engine while she was on the trailer. It would not go over 3500 and was surging. I took her out in the bay and same problem as before. Back to the trailer, it idled for awhile while I was loading it, tried putting load on the engine while on the trailer, now it seemed to work fine?? Took her out again. Other then seeming to accelerate slower then normal, she was back to normal, topping out at 5500-5700 RPM. AHHHHHH!!!!! I hate when a problem corrects itself and I don't know why.

What do you guys think? Did it just need to work the air through the system? I cut open the old fuel filter and it seems ok?? It is still under warranty, but if they don't find a problem, I have to pay for the labor. Any advise would be appreciated.

- Tavis

I wonder ... you were in SEAS and bouncing a bit? I'd check the anti-siphon valve on the fule line right where the fuel line connects to the tank and I'd pull the fuel pick-up to check that. I once had a clogged fuel pick-up and it was INTERMITANT and would limit the RPMs above 3500 or more ...

It sounds like the fuel promlems that we had a few years ago with the introduction of ethanol. You may have aclogged screen in your HP fuel pump. That would be my first guess.

I dont recall if the 4S have the same "low pressue" fuel pumps.....but if they do I would replace them.

Back