Help with checking oil

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L

Reaction score
I have a new 2012 2320 SL, with a Yamah 200hp 4 stroke.

in water delivery March 15, 132 hours on it to date, did a service on it at 35 and 90 hours...

I am taking it on a long trip this weekend, wanted to check oil. The dipstick only has two holes, no cross hatch or full line...

I assume the oil should be somewhere in the middle of the two holes??

My dipstick, when I pulled it out, had only about a 1/8-1/4 inch reading, below the bottom hole....how much shoudl I add? What kind or brand is best for hte fall? I'll have the boat in the water and used often till mid December...

Thanks in advance.

BTW my digital guage read in the middle, but I am pretty sure this is only oil pressure and not actual oil level....

I have a 150 not a 200 but I believe they might have the same issue. Make sure that your trim/tilt is such that the top of the engine is level. Mine will give a false reading if the trim/tilt is all the way down since the engine is not level. I have over 900 hours on my motor and change oil every 100 hours. It has never used any oil between changes.

Steve

Thank you both for the input. Do either of you have the same dipstick I have, with 2 holes an inch and a half apart? Should the oil level be between these two? Thanks!!

Should ideally be at the level of the TOP hole ... but 'yes' those 2-holes indicate the acceptable range. Can't tell you how much tyou need to add to raise, but as with any motor, TOO much isn't good ... though not as bad as too little or none :shock: .

So add some and check until the level is at the top hole, then start motor for a few minutes, shut off for 10-minutes and re-check.

DaleH":357tw6rx said:
Should ideally be at the level of the TOP hole ... but 'yes' those 2-holes indicate the acceptable range. Can't tell you how much tyou need to add to raise, but as with any motor, TOO much isn't good ... though not as bad as too little or none :shock: .

So add some and check until the level is at the top hole, then start motor for a few minutes, shut off for 10-minutes and re-check.

Will do, thank you very much!

miky2884":3hi9193k said:
Sounds a little odd that a brand new engine would need oil????

I thought so also. I did look at this at night, MAYBE the engine was NOT all the way level. I'll check again in a few hours, in daylight..

Thanks

Back