Help with my Nipple

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgevazquez

Reaction score
did service on my lower unit a 2005 f225 yamaha and this is the only nipple that I can't force grease in to no matter how hard I pump, I did remove the nipple tip and inserted in in to the gun and I'm able to squeeze grease, but not if its installed any help would be great

Attachments

• IMG_75981.jpg
    IMG_75981.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 418
follow up removed nipple and blew 200lbs of air and nothing, from everything I've read looks like someone put the wrong type of grease in and it got hard, going to leave it alone.

It can be a little embarrassing to help a man with his nipple but here goes....... :wink:

The earlier model engines pre 2005 and earlier, could be wrong on the exact date, didn't have a zerk fitting there. It was added later to help mitigate salt and corrosion that can build up between the bearing carrier and the aluminum lower unit housing. It's common for the grease there to cake up.

If it were mine I wouldn't expend too much effort into trying to push some grease in there. It sounds to me from your post that while the grease may be caked and not purgeable, there is in fact grease there in the gap between the aluminum housing and the internals which is keeping out salt/corrosion.

"IF" corrosion were to become an issue there because of SW intrusion, what would likely happen is because the gap between the steel internals and the aluminum housing is so thin, the expansion of the corrosion would cause a fracture in the aluminum housing.........if you see that then you know you have an issue. IMO nothing catastrophic is going to happen because you can't squeeze new grease into an already grease filled cavity.

Back