Help with the Bimini Twist.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Reaction score
I've been pulling my hair out for about 2 hours now, and blown through about 100' of 50# mono, trying to tie a decent Bimini Twist. The problem is that when I apply the upward pressure on the twists, the mono ends up kinked, and I'm worried that's weakening it. I've tried lubing the line up, tried every tip I see online, and I just can't seem to get it correct.

So, anyone have any other hints, or is a little bit of kinking normal?

Slim Beauty ...

But, did you ever see the Sport Fishing magazine article about less wraps is actually stronger? Try googling it ...

I do 27 twists. I'm not sure what you mean by upward pressure on the twists. Can you explain more what you are doing and I will try to help. Its more outward pressure than upward pressure.

I do the twists, put loop over piling or something, then have someone walk down center of loop, pulling them apart. When they get tite, the tag end gets sucked back down the twists, and finish with some wraps.

For 50# mono, the spider hitch should be fine, and you should be able to tie that as a one person job.

If you are following directions from a magizine that has you using your feet or legs don't feel bad.
Forget everything you have ever read about tying it and try this:

Put a rod in a rod holder backwards as close to the transom as possible.

Use the rod on one end and your spring cleat on the other end to keep the line very tight.
Make your twists, put on cleat, run hand towards rod tip to location you want, hold dumb end 90 degrees to back down on itself till it stops, a half hitch over one line then 3 more over both lines. done

I use a bimini twist for everything but I do not tie it with my feet. :lol:

A spider hitch is a far inferior knot, I've been using my knee, feet, my rod handle (works the best), everything. When I talk about upward pressure, I'm talking about sliding my finger upwards in the loop to compress the twists. Its at that last, final push that seems to crimp the mono. I'll take some pictures if I get a chance tonight.

The other problem is that when I'm done tying it, the loop has some residual twists in it, and tends to coil up when the pressure is relaxed.

Directions I've tried:
Knee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjrV9gl3OkU
Rod Handle: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1750 ... ot-one.htm

I agree that I prefer the Bimini, but I am not sure how much I would call a spider hitch inferior.

To the best of my recollection, I have never had one break on me, and I have used it alot over the past 25 years of canyon fishing. Certain rods that I used had guides that biminis would get stuck on, so we always fished them with the spider hitch. On 50#, when done right, the spider hitch is fine. On line heavier than that, not a great knot.

I have found the spider hitch to be holding up very well in my braided line applications as well.

Try pullin the loops out sideways to condense the twists. Finger width does not seem agressive enough on the angle. Better yet, see if you can find someone to show you how to do it. Although it sounds intimidating, and many shy away from it, it actually is a very easy knot to tie.

That one by reefman is good.The only thing I have found is that with braided line I will make 2 half hitches on each leg before the final 4 turn cinch. Only using on half hitch on one leg resulted in a couple of knots slipping while practicing this knot.
During the winter I will try and learn how to make some windon leaders,they have been running about 18 bucks a pop :shock:

Back