High Speed Polisher Pads - Whats the best size?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversides

Reaction score
I just purchased a Drillmaster Variable Speed Polisher/Sander from Harbor Freight.
Its a 600-3500 variable speed model.
I'm just learning to use it but I am noticing that the pad size may be too big, due to the fact that its hard to control.
I'm using the foam pads and I'm all over the place.
I'm thinking if the diameter is smaller, it would be easier to control.
This model comes with 7" plate with 8" pads.
Would I be better off with say a 5" pad?
Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Attachments

• image_21934.jpg
    image_21934.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 198
That Harbor Freight polisher looks curiously similar to my Makita 9227c that you can see at this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9227C-7-In ... B0000223IZ
The Makita is the polisher that I use.

The pad on mine uses hook-and-loop fastening, and the pads I use are the 7" (yellow) wool pads.
The 7" pads are perfect size for cutting and polishing on the hull and other 'open' areas, but it can get tight when I do in and around the pilothouse.
I also have a pair of orbital polishers from Griots Garage in 3" and 5" sizes for detail work, but on the boat I generally stick with the Makita.

Working with a high speed polisher takes practice, and it also depends on the condition of your hull.
If the finish is oxidized, the foam pads are not what you want. Wool pads that will cut the oxidation, and a proper compound (and water) are what you want.

Foam pads in 'firm' are only used with polishes, and foam pads in 'soft' are used for final waxing.
The Griots pads for polish are yellow, and wax pads are red so as not to get them confused.

On gelcoat, you can generally use wool pads for compound, polish, and wax, but always use clean pads and never let a wool pad load up with oxidation.
The idea is to remove the oxidation, not spread it around. When a pad gets loaded up, remove it and put on a clean pad.
I can easily go through a dozen pads in a session on my 2520.

Wool pads can be laundered in a washing machine, then set out to air dry to be used again.
Taken in stages, beginning with compound and/or polish, then finishing with wax, almost any boat can be made to look new again.
Its all about patience, and using the right products.

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 173
Wow, Capt. Kevin KNOWS polishing! I never gave it that much thought. great advise and Well-said!

I'm using the foam pads and I'm all over the place.

Ha! My son has a time with it too. I just pick it up and run with it, but buffing Chevies back in the '70's in body shops may have something to do with that when they were painted Laq. and you had to buff every paint job. :)

Back