Horn not working

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 12 volts on the power side of the switch. When I jump the switch nothing happens. Hope it is not the new horn. I will try a couple more things.

Did you try running the jumper wires straight to the new wires at the horn. If it's in the wires running to the switch your going to have to redo you connection up there anyway. Then you can work your way backwards to the switch? Good luck.

Replace the switch?..... One other thought I just had. Turn your ignition switch to the on position (where your gauges are on) then try the horn. I think that is what is getting you. Let us know.

You shouldn't need to turn the ign. switch On. Ign. switch is for Engine....Not acc.

Had one the other day. Old Horn was rusty and grunted.

Install new horn....It Grunts.

Check horn straight to power. Blows very loud.

Wiring in this particular boat [Not a Parker] was impossible to get to.

The Grunting proved that the switch was working, wiring was intact. [Sorta]

Pulled new wiring..... Horn fixed. Must be to much internal corrosion..... Again on a boat that was impossible to get to it. Hurricane deck boat. :(

I verified a bad ground. Looks like I need to run a new wire. Has anyone ever replaced a plug on their wire harness? Shouldn't be that tough. There is plenty to spare.

Put volt meter across the 12 volts at the horn. Try to turn on the horn. If the 12 volts disappears chances are you have a bad connection from the battery to the horn. If the voltage remains at the input to the switch but disappears at the output of the switch i.e. switch connection or switch bad. If voltage disappears before the switch bad connection between switch and battery. Remember a corroded connection will not carry hardly any current, i.e. it has a high resistance and all the voltage will be loss across the connection.

Good Luck

markman03":e8h2boqt said:
I used a test light last night. Definitely a bad ground.
just a thought....mine all sudden quit working and behind the horn button is a wire that had become loose...tightened and all is fine. Make sure all connections are corrosion free...had same problem with sending unit in gas tank...corroded connection and once cleaned and no crud on all connections...began working fine again.

Back