How do you trim out YOUR Parker?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaJoe

Reaction score
Just curious how other Parker owners trim out their Parkers.

Do you trim the motor all the way down and then use just the tabs?

Or do you use a combo of tabs and motor?

Or motor only?

I want to be able to dial in things (MPG) a bit more consistently and just curious how others are able to do it.

What do you look for when trimming?

I know this is probably a basic question, but my first boat where trimming really makes a big difference.

BTW, running a 2007 2520XL with a 250 Yam 4 stroker.
In great conditions I can get about 2.5 MPG or so. Anyone with an identical boat getting better than 2.5 MPG?

Motor neutral (center of the trim indicator), then tabs down about 1/2 to help her jump on plane.
After that, fine tune the running attitude with the throttle and tabs.

In choppy conditions, I'll give a little more tab to get the bow down so the stem can cut the waves and eliminate slap. I'll also back off on the throttle as needed. If you are 'pounding', your trim and speed needs work.

I worry much less about mpg than I do gallons per hour being burned.
I believe that gph is a much better indicator of efficency because even small changes in trim can be seen immediately by my fuel computer.

YMMV :)

I do the same as Megabite.Start off w/motor buried,and tabs up,then adjust as she comes up on plane.

Hope you're doing well w/the C-Bazz. :D
MJ.

Motor trimmed all the way down, trim tabs half way down until on plane. Then, trim up motor to about 2 bars, then adjust trim tab to where I am not plowing or bouncing.

At what RPM are you getting 2.5 mpg? At 4200 rpm, motor at 3 bars and TTabs barely deployed ( I have LED indicators which would be about 1 light ), I get about 2.2 - 2.4 mpg, doing about 23- 25 mph.

TRIM: Motor neutral, tabs 1/3rd way down and she literally jumps on plane, but I have a mod-V of only 154-degrees. Trim the OB 1st, then the tabs to the sea state, then adjust OB if she's blowing out, i.e., offshore or following sea.

EFFICIENCY: Argghhhhhhhhh .... here we go again :) ! The honorable good Capt Kevin and I will never agree :roll: over this one - haha! But 'by the book', GPH is fuel burn only, i.e., read: consumption, not to be confused with efficiency.

Take 2 boats both with GPH of 10 - same efficiency right? Nope, for what if boat #1 goes 20 knots while boat #2 goes only 15 knots? Boat #1 will go further per gallon of fuel than boat #2 by a good 30% higher.

Whether you count it in nautical miles or statute miles, whenever we are talking purely about motor EFFICIENCY, one must factor in the distance traveled.

I'm not saying GPH isn't a good value, and maybe it's a somewhat easier value to get one's head around, at when not reading a true fuel computer like the model that I run that gives instantaneous readout in MPG. And, like anything else ... that's why there's different colors, boat styles, and more.

Micheal J":3zm3r1lj said:
I do the same as Megabite.Start off w/motor buried,and tabs up,then adjust as she comes up on plane.

Hope you're doing well w/the C-Bazz. :D
MJ.

Thanks Micheal.

Doing just OK with the WSB. Got a couple two weeks ago!

TheOtherLine":1xzxxw0h said:
Motor trimmed all the way down, trim tabs half way down until on plane. Then, trim up motor to about 2 bars, then adjust trim tab to where I am not plowing or bouncing.

At what RPM are you getting 2.5 mpg? At 4200 rpm, motor at 3 bars and TTabs barely deployed ( I have LED indicators which would be about 1 light ), I get about 2.2 - 2.4 mpg, doing about 23- 25 mph.

I get my best fuel efficiency at about 25-28 MPH
I'd guess 4500 RPM? I'll check next time out.
In normal conditions, I get the MPG as you do.
Ideal conditions I can get 2.5 MPG

Thanks all for the advice!

DaleH":1zwja0tx said:
EFFICIENCY: Argghhhhhhhhh .... here we go again :) ! The honorable good Capt Kevin and I will never agree :roll: over this one - haha!

HeeHeeHee.... :lol:
I think we do agree, we just both look at it a little differently.

Your fuel computer it set to show statute miles per gallon.
Mine is set to show gallons per hour being burned.
I also figure all of my speed and distance in nautical miles.

If I'm making 24 knots and burning 13 gallons per hour...
I know that at that rate, I will travel 24 nautical miles in 60 minutes time and burn 13 gallons of fuel.

It's all in the way you decide to look at it.
My math skills being what they are, that's how (and why) I figure it that way. :)

Edit: Looks like the 'quote' feature in the forum software is experiencing technical difficulties. :?

Back