How is the Battery Selector Switch Wired in 21se

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowman

Reaction score
I have a 2002 21se, 200 Yamaha OX66 with two batteries and a battery select switch. I currently have 2 AGM dual purpose batteries that need to be replaced. Torn between replacing them with a dedicated starting battery and a deep cycle battery or staying with two dual purpose batteries. I typically start and run with switch on both then switch to one or the other when anchored to run electronics and live well. On the return run I switch to both to start and run. I run on both because i was led to believe that's how you charged both batteries. I have been reading about the Perko Select switch and find I may have been doing it all wrong depending on how the the select switch was wired in the factory. Can anyone provide some guidance as to how I should be using the select switch and if I should stay with two dual purpose batteries.

I have 2320 with one start and one deep cycle connected to Perko battery selector switch. I keep it on ALL (both) setting,

Warthog and others use a better mousetrap - ACR unit

see
https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1366

m2cw it is worth the time and expensive to upgrade to ACR
For batteries, I buy them at WalMart for now

To answer your question I would need a pic and diagram showing how the wiring is connected in the Perko swtich

Brent":2pv043e4 said:
Be careful about switching the battery switch while the motor is running - you could damage the alternator
Change switch setting when the motor is OFF

Pretty sure that most battery switches used today are "make before break".
Take a look at the switch you have now and look up the specifications to make certain.
If it is in fact a "make before break", you won't damage anything.

More info here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3960/en/

Snowman":2vw98e5w said:
I have a 2002 21se, 200 Yamaha OX66 with two batteries and a battery select switch. I currently have 2 AGM dual purpose batteries that need to be replaced. Torn between replacing them with a dedicated starting battery and a deep cycle battery or staying with two dual purpose batteries. I typically start and run with switch on both then switch to one or the other when anchored to run electronics and live well. On the return run I switch to both to start and run. I run on both because i was led to believe that's how you charged both batteries. I have been reading about the Perko Select switch and find I may have been doing it all wrong depending on how the the select switch was wired in the factory. Can anyone provide some guidance as to how I should be using the select switch and if I should stay with two dual purpose batteries.

Here's the problems with "Perko" style switches.... There are different brands, but this style has OFF, 1 ,2, ALL

Now.....It sounds good to have a Start Battery and a House Battery and it is , BUT........ Which ever Battery you select is the Start Battery and at the same time where the House gets it's Power from.

This is why some boats "Spike" the electronics when they are ON and you start the motor.

It's that mad rush of current that drops when the starter kicks in and knocks the electronics offline.

The only battery that is selected is the one that recives a charge.....This is due to the other battery being isolated.

Now .... Some people like to run them combined or in the ALL position. You basically have 1 large battery then, as the 2 batteries are in Parallel.

And here's the problem....... If one of the batteries devolves a bad cell....It will not do it's job.....Not only that , but will pull the good battery down trying to charge itself.......
The end result is 2 - Bad batteries and that defeats the purpose of a said back up battery.

So If your Start battery is on Pos.1 and your Deep cycle house battery is on Pos. 2 and your selector switch is in Pos. 2. The deep cycle house battery that you throught you had is a Starting battery now and visa Versa.

Snowman":vrqhq57m said:
I have been reading about the Perko Select switch and find I may have been doing it all wrong depending on how the the select switch was wired in the factory.
Any kind of "selector" switch has a "common" terminal which connects between either one throw or the other. (1 or 2). If your Perko switch is like my 1801 was, the "common" terminal connects to the outboard, (starter motor & alternator), then selects which of the 2 batteries to connect to for starting & charging of that battery, or both. I would also run in "both", on way out & in, as I liked to charge both batteries (no slip power). I always manually isolated them when on the hook.

Snowman":1o477elz said:
Can anyone provide some guidance as to how I should be using the select switch
There's only 1 way you CAN use the battery selector switch. You want your starter motor to be common to both batteries to be able to start from either one, therefore the "common" terminal of the Perko switch must connect to the outboard, and select one battery or the other, (or both.)

Your electronics & other loads can either be 1: dedicated to one battery only, or 2: tied to the outboard side (common terminal) of your Perko switch in order to be powered from the battery that you selected for the starter. Beware of this, as earlier posted, because of voltage dips while starting. Otherwise, or 3: you would need another form of a smaller selector switch (like a toggle switch). This smaller selector would have it's "common" terminal connected to your loads, such as electronics. It's 2 select positions would be either battery 1 or battery 2, regardless of which battery the outboard is selecting.

Starting/charging battery-selection can only be used one way, however load selection like electronics can be easily tailored to your liking.

I have a2011 with Guest sw I called Parker they said use#1 then both in emergency, my switch has off -1- both- 2. I have never had a issue with motor off electronics on all day nor spike electronic when starting.

I think the most critical thing is how you switch your battery. You shouldn't have a problem switching positions as long as you switch through the BOTH or ALL position. If you switch through the OFF position you risk killing the alternator diodes. IOW, going 1-ALL-2 (and back) is OK. 1-OFF-2 is big trouble.

My preference is for two like-sized deep cycle batteries. AGMs are great...no maintenance and quicker recharge times than flooded cells.

If you switch through the OFF position you risk killing the alternator diodes. IOW, going

Most have a stop on it so you can NOT switch thru OFF.......Never Go to OFF while motor is running, as said.....It will screw up the alt.

Back