How to bring back the Topside gelcoat shine

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishenmission

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1993 2510 DV pilot, its been sitting for two years. Could someone give me advise on how to bring out the gelcoat shine. Overall its in good conditions just lots of sun and weather.

thanks

3M restorer wax on wool buffing pad, then finish with Colinite fleetwax.

t_12338.jpg

Depending on how dull the finish is, it is also possible to go a little more aggressive to cut the top layer of crud, and expose the good gelcoat.

I have used a liquid rubbing compound that I thin a bit with water, and put into an old mustard or ketchup squeeze bottle. The squeeze bottle makes it easy to shake and keep the compound in suspension, and it makes it easy to apply.

Use a wool pad on a variable-speed buffer that has been wet and keep the compound wet as you apply and work it. Wipe the surface down frequently with a wet terry towel to remove the dead gelcoat and don't let the compound dry or it will leave swirl marks.

Once you get the heavier oxidation cleaned off, you can go to the less aggressive compounds like Bryan suggested. Once you get the surface clean, apply wax.

Go carefully and don't get in a hurry, and I think you will like the results.

Megabyte":2guihsu2 said:
Depending on how dull the finish is, it is also possible to go a little more aggressive to cut the top layer of crud, and expose the good gelcoat.

Or you can go real aggressive if needed and break out the wet sandpaper if needed. :D :D :D

But be careful if you go that route.

wow, thanks for the great advise. Should I also continue this method on the non-skid decking?

Bryan 2530":1gotiyli said:
Bar Keepers Friend on the non-skid.

Bar Keepers Friend is good stuff... Clorox Clean-Up is good too.
Scrub it in, let sit a bit, then rinse.

If the deck is stained, liquid bleach does a good job too.
Mix bleach in with your wash water when cleaning, or simply apply it straight from the bottle to a wet deck.
Use a deck brush to coat the deck, then let it sit and walk away. The sun will work with the bleach to brighten your deck.
Heavy stains may take multiple applications, but it will come clean and white with a little perseverance.

Tried a different product this spring that the boatyard guys use it is called "aqua buff" - water souable compound comes in two differnt grits 1000 and 2000; they also have a 1000 fast cut. Used the 2000 with a power polisher brought the gel coat back; great stuff. Applied it sparingly with a paint brushed and let the polisher do the work - finished with wax looks great

Spent the last few days waxing up the hull.....it's a job I try and stay on top of and the results are the hull looks great.

Can't say the same for the cabin so today I decided to get started cleaning and waxing. The plan was wash well, then Meguiars oxide remover and Colinite Fleet wax.

I was using some WD40 to lubricate a tool and over sprayed pretty badly. Now I had WD40 not just on the tool but all over a section of the side of the cabin.

Took a towel to wipe it all up and what I got was a lot of the oxide residue on the rag and off the cabin wall. It amazed me how well wd40 took off the oxidation. Followed up with the Meguiars and the fleet wax on just a 2' by 2' area and I'm impressed how easy and how good it looks.

My understanding is WD40 is mostly fish oil and it is profiled a a cleaner as well as a lubricant.

Anyway before I go any further, has anyone else heard of this or even tried it?

Thought I'd share and ask before I go ahead and try it on the whole cabin.

Maybe another use for WD40????

a long time ago, we have used wd40 to get oil based stains out of the decks. It actually works great, but you need to be really careful afterwards because the area will be slippery. I think that with the amount of products out there today, you can find something for most anuything, but if you ever get a real stubborn stain - try the wd40.

CCparker":3brshqnn said:
a long time ago, we have used wd40 to get oil based stains out of the decks. It actually works great, but you need to be really careful afterwards because the area will be slippery. I think that with the amount of products out there today, you can find something for most anuything, but if you ever get a real stubborn stain - try the wd40.

That reminds me of the day I didn't see the wake of an ocean-going container ship and slammed down hard. The plastic spray bottle of WD-40 (I use so much I buy it in gal cans) bounced out of the holder and broke open on the deck. I had WD-40 all over about 75% of that big dance floor. It was so slippery that we stopped fishing and went home to clean her up. Very Dangerous!!!!.

Dave

aka

Back