HPDI?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pboettger

Reaction score
I have had my 1st Parker, a 2000 21 ft SE with a 2003 150 Yamaha 2 stroke, for about a year now. I really like the boat and it meets all my needs. However, I've kinda got it in the back of my mind that I might move up to a 23 SE at some point, just to have a little more room. My current 150 2S seems to burn alot of gas, so I was thinking that if I went to the 23 SE, I ought to go ahead with a 4 cycle 200 hp, and probably still come out ahead on fuel consumption. Any opinions on this? I know that the HPDIs are supposed to be a more fuel efficient 2S, so just for grins I have been reading a little about them from scattered sources on line, and there does seem to have been a few more problems with them than on a typical Yamaha. What is the consensus on them?

I have a 225 with an F225. It's got a hardtop, and some other after market crap installed on it, so it's heavy relative to its sister 23SEs

Without fishing gear, maybe 1/2 tank fuel?, and just myself and one other we get going 45 easily, with teetering on 46/47 if I push it....very calm seas.

2.2 mpg is what she settles at after the throttling is said and done, and 9.8 gph-11gph is right with it. She stretches to 2.6 mpg or a lil hire at times. 26-28 knots is her best speed range wise.

I've taken mine pretty far offshore and scattered 200 miles between running and trolling and have come back with close to a half tank left.

I know alot of people love the idea of the game changer motors but I am always skeptical of any new product until it comes out. I dont like to be a guinea pig. That being said the 150 and 200 hpdi motors are awesome. The 250 and 300 is a different story but with the updates and recals they are better but id stay away. You should be able to get a 23 with an hpdi for alot less than a 4 stroke because of public perception. The hpdi will probably burn a little more fuel at idle and be a little noisier with some smoke (not like the old 2 strokes though) but burn the same at cruise and WOT and definately be faster. If money doesnt matter to you get the 23 with a new 250 if you dont have the money get the 200 and enjoy.

One thing to consider is possibly buying one of the 2009 older models rather then one of the new lighter engines, in the next few months dealers will be trying to get rid of the old motors and would probably be willing to work a deal.

Back