Hull Designs and Mal de Debarquement Syndrome

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southofblock

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Google search and didn’t know that there is a name for it, get it though mild but uncomfortable and annoying feeling as one gets older.

So far, and it is early to make a conclusion, dramatic difference in that post ‘still rocking’ feeling between my former Glacier Bay 26’ and Parker 2501 (25’ though really, what 27’ with bracket?). And not disappointed.

Straight away the GB sliced though chop, extremely steady track, could take your hands off wheel. No pounding, very smooth. Without knowing the physics, I would think the thin narrow twin hulls cut like ice skates, rather than rising up and then down. The Parker hull doesn’t do that, and unlike the GB, you need to dial in trim tabs and engine trim (on learning curve).

However, at rest, in a drift, GB rolled, a lot in chop! Enough so routinely tackle bag would slide from one side to other. Best to be sitting and hanging on. Never had this ‘snap roll’ some talk about. Now, in comparison with the Parker, I can tell that the Parker is much more stable, less roll, while drifting or on the hook.

This improved at rest-stability does appear to significantly reduce Mal de Debarquement (duh, right I know, but a surprising dramatic difference). This I like. So a compromise.

Looking to keep Parker into retirement and pick decent days, and not push for clocking 60 mile runs.

Point Judith can be a challenge any day depending on tides and wind. Deep to shallow around Point and a tremendous flow in and out of Narragansett Bay. Gets steep and ugly, sometimes unavoidable. That remains TBD on Parker.

Back