Humminbird 1197c SI

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clam Power

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a Humminbird 1197c SI. I am considering one for my new Parker 2120 SC. I dont ever plan to network a RADAR. Right now it is a toss up between the Humminbird and a Garmen 4000 series (although Im still open to ideas in that price range). The Humminbird has a 10.4" screen - and I guess I am mostly interested because of the side scan SONAR looks like a nice tool for blackfishing. I have used several different smaller model Garmen combo units and I am looking fof something superior to that - but have never used one in the 4000 series.

The Humminbird is a self contained unit, while the Garmen apears to require the seperate sounder unit.

It seems like both are in the same ballpark price range.

Any advice is apreaciated.

I am interested in the same two units either the Garmin 4208 or the 1197si .

I feel comfortable spending the money on the Garmin and it is easily expandable for radar. I know what I am getting for the money.

The Humminbird or Lowrance side scan technology is cool and pictures of the bottom are great. The main concern I have is all of the pictures I have seen have been in lakes, harbors and mostly shallow water and probably calm conditions.

I only fisn in the ocean in NJ and would like to see pictures and get opinions from someone that has actually used the side scan technology in 60-80' of water and a 3-4 foot chop. I have not seen any reviews of this product being used in that manner and that makes me hesitant to spend the money on it.

Just my 2 cents

Hey Got-em, I read through the Humminbird 1197c si instuction manual online, it sounds like the 2 frequencies that run straight down work like a regular FF, but that the side scans will ONLY work well at speeds less than 6 knts and that a 3-4' chop would interfere with the side signals. There was no indication that 60-80 depth would be a problem, but I seem to recall that 150' was the max for the side scans. I was concerned about hul interference on the port side signal on the DV. Also I was thinking that transome mount transducer may work better with a bracket as there would be no shadow interference with the motor for that port beam- but thats just speculation.

The thing is, it has the down beems like a traditional FF, and those SHOULD in theory work similar to other brands....I envision from reading the manual that the side scans would be good when trying to find a rock pile or locate a school of fish that recently dove down from the surface - but that this feature would not at all be apropriate when running.

I just tried a Garmen 5000 series at West Marine and I thought that the refresh rates when you zoom in or out were very slow. Is that your experience?

On Monday I spent a few hours cruising around the Harbor and Bay with Lowrance's StructureScan module attached to an HDS-10. Impressive! This upstart seemed to image the bottom as well as the Humminbird 1197C I was also running, and Humminbird has completely owned this niche for years. Lowrance's side imaging also seems easier to use. Humminbird SI, for instance, doesn't have an auto range feature that adjusts the displayed bottom width (and resolution) according to the depth, nor does it have the useful soft keys seen above. They both work pretty well, though, and the more I use them, the more I think they're valuable to fisherman and even cruisers...
I ran out to where it's about 100' deep, but the bottom was pretty darn dull (or the side scanners weren't seeing well). I got a kick out that rocky ledge shown on the screen above, though. It shows as just a 25' hump on the NOAA charts (and isn't well presented on that Navionics chart at this zoom level). I've been boating over this bottom for 40 years and didn't know that much of it is quite smooth, with an occasional ledge like this. It would be valuable information if I was fishing or trying to anchor around here (or trying out underwater cameras).
I have to say that I'm not finding Lowrance's exclusive "down scan" view of the high resolution pings all that useful. You can see it in the upper left window above and upper right on the screen below. It does give some nuance to the similar sonar view, but you have to get right on top of something to image it. I tried to get on top of that interesting cross seen lower left below -- possibly a couple of railway ties or tracks from an old ship hauling ways -- but failed. Besides, Humminbird has already announced its own free upgrade to down scanning. Another thing of note on the screen below is those blue bars beside each window. I recorded a lot of StructureScan info -- including the present lay out of all the Inner Harbor mooring stones -- and can play it back on the HDS, even adjusting settings and display windows. The Humminbird has a similar feature, though I've been having a little trouble with the recording causing the side imaging screen to freeze or stutter. I may need to adjust some settings, and, by the way, the 1197C does give you a bit more control of imaging enhancements. More to come.
see
http://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/10/l ... _on_1.html

Thanks guys

I will continue to be looking onto both the Lowrance and Humminbird units - I need to make a decision in the next few weeks. Garmen 4000 series is my back up plan. I have an - email into the Humminbird reps to ask about the motor or motor being in the way of the port side beem, and if 2 transducers would be needed.

After seeing the size of the Lowrance transducer - I think that one would clearly have a shadow from the motor as it seems longer than the humminbird transducer..

Ive been following the comparisons on this site and THT and others... Thanks for the info.

I am not too concerned about using it when running, but from some of the comments in this thread it seems that a rocking boat could definitely be a problem and depth(100') could also be an issue.

Will be hitting the AC boat show and will do some comparisons there.

Back