I/O vs outboard power

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokybo

Reaction score
Is there any downside to having an I/O powered Parker, besides the obvious space lost to the motorbox. My current boat is powered by a Honda 4 stroke, That has worked flawlessly and I don't have any experience with I/O. I am trying to get a used parker and there are a few I/O powered boats on the market. It looks like repowering an I/O is quite a bit cheaper than buying a new outboard, but maybe I'm not seeing it all. It looks like Parker doesn't offer I/O set ups any more. Is that because outboards are easier to rig.

One major downside to an I/O Parker is if you keep it in salt water you cannot lift the drive completely out of the water like most newer outboards and corrosion will take its toll. A few other downsides are fuel economy and performance is poor compared to an outboard and more difficult to work on in some cases. If it is a diesel the fuel economy may be better but no comparison in top end speed.

A couple of plus for the I/O is easier to find parts and less expensive, simplicity, lower center of gravity for more stability, no bracket or motor interference at the stern when fishing, and easier to modify for performance upgrades.

As you stated the big downside for me is the engine box as the large cockpit is the main reason I purchased a Parker.

Thanks for the reply MaxOut. I guess I was under the misunderstanding that The I/O got better fuel economy. I have always liked the outboards for winter use and ease of maint. Looks like your only a couple miles up the road. Do you boat in the Patuxent much or mostly in the Bay? Jim

I love my I/O Parker.

My 2530 I/O rides better than a 2520 with a single 250 Yamaha. More weight down low and forward with the I/O.

I leave my outdrive down under from March through December and only rub off the growth once half way through the season. 11 years and no problems to report.

Reading boat tests over the years, I/Os are definitely better in fuel efficiency, but not speed. And there's the trade off. Seems like most I/Os on Parkers are low 20s to 20mph cruise.

I'd prefer an I/O Parker with a diesel and the motor 2/3rds of the way forward in the cockpit via a jackshaft, leaving plenty of room up against the full transom, and enough to get into the helm cabin door.

I'll say this ... a full repower is sure cheaper than a new OB! Like 1/3rd to 1/4tr the cost :D ! Less diesel motors of course ... but then, a low compression one would last 10K hours.

DaleH":1syo3y6y said:
I'd prefer an I/O Parker with a diesel and the motor 2/3rds of the way forward in the cockpit via a jackshaft, leaving plenty of room up against the full transom, and enough to get into the helm cabin door.

Or a true inboard with a prop pocket. :wink:
This one is gas, but the idea is the same.

Image-CBA350B82B2A11DB.jpg

Image-78F7F23E2B2B11DB.jpg

Image-78F81E922B2B11DB.jpg

Image-78F9E6502B2B11DB.jpg

Back