I think this is a electronics problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grutus

Reaction score
With the engine running or when the key is moved to the 2nd position all the gauges move all the way to the right and stay there like they are getting to much juice. Does anyone what any thought as to what I might check/
thanks,
1998,1800,115hp-2stroke

I do not know how to check the voltage regulator but I have a neighbor who does and I think I will check the wires going to the ground on the battery because I put the nylon lock nuts on the battery and might have broken or weakened the ground wires to the battery.
thanks for your suggestions.
Grutus

ok good luck.
You can check the voltage with the motor running at the motor connected battery with a DVM or buy at voltage meter that plugs into a cigarette lighter from auto parts store. I bought one from WalMart.
Yes I would clean and add some protective grease to the terminals. You can search the archives on battery for the best advice and details

Check the continuity on the ground wire on the back side of the gauges with a known "good" ground, like the ground bus behind your helm, if you have one. Gauges "pegging" is not a sign of over-voltage, it is typically a ground problem...

Keep this in mind. 99% of all DC electrical issues are ground related...

Thanks again for all the tips and I will get out there and try some of the ideas that all you have given me.

One of the batteries has some small wires that connect to the ground of the battery and I think that I will check the connections where they connect to the battery.

THANKS again for the help.
Grutus

Wow! I fixed the ground problem and like to thanks everyone who responded to my problem.

Here is what I did.
a) I took off the nylon nuts and cleaned the connect to the battery with a wire brush and not the brass brush that I had been using to clean connections and I also cleaned the three wires that were attached to the ground on the two batteries. I did one battery at a time and it looked like it worked and then
b) I hooked the hose up to the engine and stared the engine to make sure that the rpm gauge and the other two gauges were working properly.

I have been try to run my engine at about 3,500 rpm which I think is the best speed to get the best mileage and this has been difficult to due to the fact that the needle would go all the way over to the right with the engine running on even when it wasn't running.

THANKS THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
and I will remember from now on that 99% of DC electrical issues are ground related!

Back