Installed 700 Lewmar Profish Windlass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfunandson

Reaction score
Yesterday completed the job on my 2120, quick & simple, hardest part was drilling the 3" hole through the pulpit for the rode.

Question is on the wiring, do I need to be directly to the battery or can I wire the hot lead to the battery switch so that it becomes switched with the rest of the boat, with exception of the bilge of course.

Switch is fine. Make sure to spend the money and get the 8 plait rope with that thing or youll be pissed.

Not so sure about that , .....The wire gauge required if you read the directions stated a 6 or 8 if the run is 20'feet the breaker that you have from lewmar get direct to battery in heave gauge and then power from breaker to switch...... here are some picks of my old boat

used 6 wire from hot on battery to breaker, 8 from breaker to sw and unit......... never had a problem... i can post plenty on windlass installs i've done atleast 6 lewmar profish units.........

PS u better use 8 plait !!!!......

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 420
Nauti has a point. if u do go to the switch just make sure the connection from the switch to the battery is a bigger guage wire than what ur long run is. The manual doesn't say go to the switch because they don't know what kind people have or if they have one. But as long as everything is heavy duty enough its fine.

RN, I like what you did with that backing plate. That should have been a stock piece. I just used the SS fender washers that came with the kit, but, with all the pulling and torque that unit suffers, the backing plate is a much better idea.

Good job.

I ran 8 gauge wire from the breaker to the battery.

starting out at my #2 battery i used the Lewmar recommended gauge wire for about a 1-2 ft run to a CB attached to the stbd bilge bulkhead. from that CB a stage left into the opening that leads to the wire bundle under the starboard gunwale. zip tie it and run the continuous length of wire forward to the Lewmar switch mounted on the console. then a short length of the same recommended wire to the provided Lewmar CB mounted on the console. from Lewmar CB on the console, you make a short run on the starboard side through the small existing opening/gap in the upper part of the bulkhead which gets your wires into the anchor locker. hook up the wires to the leads from the windlass. MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A LOOP WITH EXTRA WIRE to make it easier when making the initial connection and subsequent cuts/connections if you need to remove the windlass for service/repair in the future.

did someone say 8 plait line? lol

Attachments

• Library - 0663.jpg
    Library - 0663.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 484
  • Library - 0714.jpg
    Library - 0714.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 484
  • J3072x2304-04138.jpg
    J3072x2304-04138.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 483
  • J3072x2304-06086.jpg
    J3072x2304-06086.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 483
  • J3072x2304-05412.jpg
    J3072x2304-05412.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 484
  • J3072x2304-05466.jpg
    J3072x2304-05466.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 484
Next year or so im going to do a two hook setup with a pot puller/capstan style on the starboard gunnel this way i can use 600 ' on one 800' on the other and pull myself over the wrecks!!!! using nice cheap 3/8" line!!!

..............and if you never want to worry about charging the windlass dedicated battery, take advantage of the unused charging lead coming off the engine alternator. take the cowl off and you can find the unused lead it sitting under the clear plastic fuel filter.

simply snap the connectors together then run the yamaha charging lead through the chase/transom opening and then to the windlass battery. now, no matter what position the battery switch is in, the engine will charge the windlass battery. mine is hooked to batt 2 so my battery switch stays in position 1 which means anytime the engine is running batts 1 and 2 are both charging.

this is the charging lead from Yamaha. you can also make one yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 415
BradV":b2dfy1ku said:
Switch is fine. Make sure to spend the money and get the 8 plait rope with that thing or youll be pissed.
Agreed 100%. Took me 3 return trips back to repair shop till I made the switch and haven't had an issue since.

Did you notice how clean the stainless was on the 4th picture Grouper Jim posted ? :shock:

Mine wasn't that clean new!

I'm not sure but I think in the neatnick category, it's a close race between GJ and Megabyte... :mrgreen:

Back