Installing an S1000 RM AP tips,tricks,advice.....needed

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishPimp

Reaction score
So I finally plunged. The S1000 is arriving thursday and being installed friday. After a fair amount of deliberation I decided on the RayMarine S1000. I dont need it really for anything other than trolling a straight line and deploying lines. All the other AP's out there were a ton more money with a ton more bells and whistles I really didnt need. So I went against my grain and bought practical. Go figure.

So here is where i might need some advice and pointers as I am dong the install myself. From what I have read it is a pretty no brainer installation and our good friend Jim at BOE will be on the ready should I need some help.
Question#1
I have the 23SE and want to mount the pump on the floor in the console. Have any of you guys mounted it ontop of a sound dampener? If so what did you use? I have read mudflaps work great. Any other suggestions?
Question#2
I am trying to figure out where to mount the course computer. WHere have you guys mounted it? I was thinking on the forward wall below my stereo amp. Or behind the Furunos in the upper helm cavity. Thoughts?
Question#3
making the nmea connection to my furuno gps and chartplotter. I can literally splice into my VHF I guess becasue I do have DSC. What have you guys done?
Question#4
How tricky was it to callibrate the AP once you did your water testing?
What speed did you test and callibrate to?
Question#5
What else can you tell me to help make this installation as easy,stedfast and correct as possible? And dont say have an installer do it.

Thanks
Chris

yes I will post up the installion photos.

Chris,

I love my S1000. It will do what you described just fine. I will tell you that the instructions on how to set fishing patterns is NOT correct. I found that out after playing with it until I almost threw it out the window. Then I called tech support :oops:

Anyway, to answer your questions.

#1 - I don't think a sound dampener like a mud flap or bath mat is going to do anything to improve the quietness unless you totally encase the pump. The pump, when running, is a little noisy but it is NOT annoying or loud.

Mine is installed INSIDE the electronics box behind the helm so the sound is muffled. You can install it on the floor.

#2 - The only requirement here is that it is vertical and NOT tilted in any way. I, again, installed mine inside the box that contains all my electronics.

#3 - I would suggest NOT tying into your vhf and instead splice into your chartplotter. Call Furuno and find out which of their wires are the nema receive and transmit + / - and use the s1000 spur to make your connections. Use the 3m scotchlocks to make the connections.

#4 - Don't worry about calibrating anything. The 3 -4 guys I know that bought the S1000, told me it works perfectly right out of the box. When I went to use mine, both in the Auto mode and tracking mode, it worked perfectly. No calibration. If you start screwing around with the adjustments, you may make it worse. Try it without calibrating first. If it is performing that poorly, then use the auto learn feature first.

#5 - Have patience with the bleeding process. I don't know where the helm fill is on an SE. Mine is right next to the wheel. It would help to devise a makeshift "IV" type setup to add fluid. Otherwise, get a buddy to help fill when you bleed.

You may choose to skip installing the kill button. I got a little anal about it, thinking that I might need to shut down the AP fast in an emergency. Having used the unit now for quite a while, I have never had to use the kill switch. If you need to shut it down, just hit the standby button on the remote.

Also consider running the power to an available toggle switch instead of directly from the battery to the unit. The switch also acts like a "killl" switch.

Install manual and video are actually pretty good. Good Luck!

Attachments

• 04192009 009 (Medium).jpg
    04192009 009 (Medium).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 584
  • 04192009 012 (Medium).jpg
    04192009 012 (Medium).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 584
  • 12192008 051 (Small).jpg
    12192008 051 (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 584
  • 12192008 057 (Small).jpg
    12192008 057 (Small).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 584
I would suggest you look at you steering helm pump from behind and hold the AP pump up there and based on the length of the hoses decide on the best suitable mounting location for the AP pump. Do Not Mount It In A Box as the pump will get hot during operation. Also take a look at the hydro connectors that are included and make sure you have what you need (I needed to go to the hardware store to get different ones). Wire the AP computer directly to your NEMA source (GPS antenna or GPS display). Programming is a breeze and pretty much ready to go out of the box. I would install the kill switch as I have had the batteries go dead in the remote and used the shut off to kill power. With Raymarine displays some have auto pilot control capability so you can use the display to control the autopilot and plot courses. Pretty sure not compatible with other manufacturers. There is a video on Raymarine's site with detailed instructions on how to do the install as a reference you may want to watch it prior to installing. Good Luck!

PimpDaddy... Good luck with the install. I'm looking forward to your project post. 8)

MaxOut":58kge3fl said:
I would install the kill switch as I have had the batteries go dead in the remote and used the shut off to kill power.

:shock: Didn't think of that!!! But, if you wire to a switch, doesn't that effectively do the same thing as the kill button? Cuts power to the computer?

TheOtherLine":k35rrqyv said:
MaxOut":k35rrqyv said:
I would install the kill switch as I have had the batteries go dead in the remote and used the shut off to kill power.

:shock: Didn't think of that!!! But, if you wire to a switch, doesn't that effectively do the same thing as the kill button? Cuts power to the computer?

My s1000 was my power drain culprit. My mechanic tracked down a 2amp ghost to the AP, then rewired it to one of my empty switches. Now that I think about it, I guess using the kill switch could be the same but the s1000 will draw power when not in use wihout a switch.

TheOtherLine":2fa00gnk said:
MaxOut":2fa00gnk said:

Yes, the kill switch is in line power to the coarse computer. Plus when you use the standby button there is a delay, :wink: not a problem at troll but could be at 30 knots.

I have an A/P switch on the slick switch panel that scott cambra make for me so I am probably going to bypass the kill switch on the helm. Will see once I get the project off the ground tomorrow. Jim said to go through the ICOM vhf. If I go off of my gps I am wondering what kind of splices I am going to need to make as everything is nice and tight going through the ethernet DLink. Will put a call into furuno to have them guide my hand if needed.
Not going to put pump into the upper helm e box as that is where the brains of my electronics lives and if Murphy raises his head in there... the pictures wont look pretty. So most likely will go somewhere on the floor.
I would like to make some sort of a box to keep everything nice and secure as I use the console a bunch for storage. An as you know passengers on somebody elses boat dont alway use the same caution as the owner when putting stuff in the console. Better safe than sorry.
Cautiously optimistic.

Chris

Well the AP went in and man I dont know what I was waiting for! The entire job took about 4 1/2 hours. Unfortunately I left my camera charger back in Frisco so I aint got no pics of installation. Will take some when I get back east in 11 days.
What I can say about the unit installation is anybody can do it. I was a bit timid at first and once I got started it all fell into place. The trick now is to learn how to plot courses and use some of the features this little power house has to offer.
I made my nmea connection through the VHF Icom 504. AS all of my electronics are Furuno. If I had Ray it would have been that much easier.
The unit rocks and it is perfect for my application of trolling for Blue Fin Tuna. With 2 other guys on the boat we were able to deploy baits that much faster and concentrate on our spread and looking for whales and actively feeding fish,rather than staying an a straight course.
Often after trolling for 10-12 hours I am exhausted from being at the wheel all day. With the AP I was really far more relaxed at days end.
On monday I fished the cape cod bay and was able to use the wireless remote from the bow of the boat while looking for feeding fish. When I saw the fish I could poin the boat in the direction of the fish and get back to the helm to slow the boat down and get ready to cast.
Unfortunatly no love on the FishPimp this weekend.
Cant wait to get back out there and use this tool for fishing and boating.

Fish Pimp, How much did you spend on the components? I was thinking about one but not sure if I can afford it yet.

It was like 880 and change. BOE found me one with the new software.
I will tell you what.... the AP rules! Hopefully Bill wont rain on my parade this weekend so I can play with it more.
I will snap some pictures this weekend of the install. I also need to get some stainless braces made for protection of the motor. As I use the console for a fair amount of storage.

Back