Installing Garmin 4208 on console

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaff

Reaction score
Getting ready to install a Garmin 4208 in my PH and have noticed several pictures here where folks have been able to mount them, and other units, on top of their console, just left of the compass. When I sit mine there to see how it fits, with the supplied bracket, my compass deviates 15-20 degrees away from the unit. It appears the only way I can keep from this happening is to use a Ram mount and place it on the left side of the console, which is apparently just far away enough from the compass to not deviate it. I've never had this problem before with past GPS & FF mounted near compasses on my other boats. Anybody else have the same problem and anyone have some secret tips? Thanks

You can mount it overhead.

I am looking at installing a new chart plotter. My existing electronics on the dash will cause the compass to deviate. My plan is to mount as much as possible overhead and keep the dash clear.

Mounting electronics on a newer 2320 is like putting a puzzle together.

BradV, yes I liked that but I've already got a backup GPS & radio hanging.

Why not move the back up gps down by the compass see if it has the same affect on the compass or better yet get rid of the damn compass this is 2009 nobody uses old school navigation anymore. More than half of us probably dont know how anyways.

BradV":2rpg6a0c said:
better yet get rid of the damn compass this is 2009 nobody uses old school navigation anymore. More than half of us probably dont know how anyways.

terrible idea. what happens when you get a solar flare that knocks out GPS signal for a couple hours? or when the chinese decide to sneak attack a few GPS satellites out of the sky? any number of things that could cause GPS to go down, and when the fit hits the shan its always good to know which way to point the bow :wink: plus, when im running, alot of times i find it easier to get the compass bearing and steer off the compass, because it has real time reading with absolutely no lag.

i think theres ways to correct compass deviation built into the unit? not sure about that though, you could check any materials that may have come with the compass or the manufacturers website.

I am running a 4208 Garmin on my 23SE. Keep in mind of ventilation around the unit. It does get very warm, especially in the summer.

Charlie,
Eden, Md.

Installation of electronics complete. Thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

• GSD 22 digital sonar mounted under dash (Small).jpg
    GSD 22 digital sonar mounted under dash (Small).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 190
  • on dash - Garmin 4208 GPS-FF & Spot. Garmin VHF 100 & GPS 152 above (Small).jpg
    on dash - Garmin 4208 GPS-FF & Spot. Garmin VHF 100 & GPS 152 above (Small).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Wiring for NMEA 2000 network (Small).jpg
    Wiring for NMEA 2000 network (Small).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Airmar B60 - 20deg. tilt transducer installed (Small).jpg
    Airmar B60 - 20deg. tilt transducer installed (Small).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Electronics (Small).jpg
    Electronics (Small).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 190
Looking Good!!!
bigthumbsup.gif

Sweet install!

Catfish,
That particular yellow cable is for the power supply for the NMEA 2000 backbone. I don't have the cable to show the engine data but I understand all you have to do is get that cable & plug it into the a backbone port and info will show up on the 4208 display. Same way with radar, XM weather antenna and anything else, and the info will show up on the network. "Plug & Play, pretty neat!

Back