is a 2520 xl enough boat to "safely" fish offshore

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbrown409

Reaction score
I would be leaving from the CT shoreline and wondering if the 2520 XL is enough boat to safely fish Acid Barge, Coxes Ledge, areas south of Montauk....? Anyone have experience running out that way....I've fished the areas several times but in much larger boats...I know on a blue bird day you can go anywhere but when the south west wind comes up how do the Parkers handle?

I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot of stupid questions....

I'm not a NE boater, so you'll probably want to wait for someone with experience in your area to chime in. I boat in the Gulf of Mexico and trust my 2520 to 100 miles out. I'm running twin 150's with a 179 gallon fuel tank. 100 miles out, ~20 miles between sites and 100 miles back in leaves me with ~1/3 tank left for emergencies given good weather and average load. I'm a pretty fair weather boater, so any systems in the area and I'm not going. Also, how prepared are you for if things go bad? Extra parts, tools, spare VHF? If I were up there I'd want a dry suit, life raft, epirb, etc. Hell, I have those here, but to be fair probably wouldnt have the dry suit if I wasnt primarily using it for diving.

God question, safety is my concern too.

I have a 2320 and mostly fish Montauk and block.
My boat handles very well in 4-6 ft seas.
Got caught at block with a SW wind and it got snotty fast.
She handled well, but it was not fun.

My concern is both the 2320 and 2520 are not very heavy boat, so I would pick my day for an offshore trip. Also feel capacity as mentioned may be a concern.

Hope this helps

to answer your question simply, YES! that 2520 will not be the limiting factor for safety on your trips. You, the Captain will be the limiting factor: pick your days, watch your weather, know your boat and your limits. To put it into perspective, I would routinely fish my 2120 offshore Tampa, Fl out 60 miles. Here on the Atlantic side (jacksonville, Fl), I routinely fish out to 45 miles in my 2120….looking for a 2520 so I can routinely fish 70 miles offshore.

I don't have much to add except it depends on the day! Parkers are tough boats and take more punishment than you can, which is great.

One thing though, somebody made a comment that their 25 handled 6 foot seas well. I don't think there is a 25 on the planet that handles 6 foot seas "well". That's a BIG sea unless simply a roller. It may get you home safely and alive, but handling it well? Not likely.

I have the MV version of the 2520, and I routinely do 65 mile one way trips year round up her in AK. I am on the inside passage, so I do not contend with swells at all, but we do get a mean chop. I never plan to take the boat out in seas greater than 4', but here the weather is so unpredictable, I have been caught in 4-6' chop. All though the chop is not fun and makes the trip take longer, especially when you have 1200lbs of cargo onboard, I have never felt unsafe in the boat. Like I said I try to pick my weather windows, but some times if your out for a few days, the weather can change quickly.

My recommendation would be that if you have a single such as I do that you invest in a good kicker.

kbrown409":3lz80vqx said:
I would be leaving from the CT shoreline and wondering if the 2520 XL is enough boat to safely fish Acid Barge, Coxes Ledge, areas south of Montauk....? Anyone have experience running out that way....I've fished the areas several times but in much larger boats...I know on a blue bird day you can go anywhere but when the south west wind comes up how do the Parkers handle?

I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot of stupid questions....

I have operated in all of those areas with my Parker 2520 out of Mystic CT for the last 10 seasons, actually in my 11th year with the boat and we have already been to the Acid Barge this past week. We both fish & SCUBA dive on the Acid Barge. You must pick your days but absolutley doable. I have logged 100s of trips both South and East of Block Island, common sense and weather awareness are they key but this applies to any boat be it 25 or 55.

As for handling, the Mod-V has a reputation for a bit of a pounding ride into a head sea. I LOVE my boat but the pounding into a head sea is true. Proper trim tab and engine trim use can help alleviate some of the pounding but what works best is slowing down. Some days 12-14kts is gonna be about it unless you wanna shake the fillings in your teeth loose. Again I use common sense and if it's forecast to be 3-5ft and the buoy data supports the 3-5, I do not intentionaly venture way offshore. The boat, if handled correctly is plenty safe in those conditions however I use my boat for FUN and getting slapped around all day is more like work.

Exercise caution coming across Southwest Ledge in a following or quartering sea. Waves build quickly in there and it is not hard to find yourself "surfing" down hill. This is a place that under the right conditions, if not paying attention you can get spun out or worse.

I have also seen it stack up real good at the Wicopeset Passage off the Northeast Side of Fishers. There is a narrow entrance there across the reef and on the right days, with the right wind and tide, it can really stack up for a few hundred yards. The Race gets a lot of attention but the Wicopeset entrance can surprise you too. As always the key is to pay attention.

Best of luck......

Yes to both boats. I have a 2320. It's a deep V and been out tuna fishing for 10 years with seas up to 6 ft with 3 sec. Apart. The 2320 handles the seas great!! The Parker boat handles a head sea very good and also a flowing sea. I think these boat handle better then a 36 ft. The only boat that handles better would be a down Easter 36 ft. In 4 to 6 seas you must go under 12 knots. 12 is max!!! She will pound and it will be a hard ride. You will get home safe. You may kiss the dock when your back at port. Great boat. I don't know about a mod V. You can trim your tabs but never trim your eng. in heavy seas. The motor will pound against the trim and brake the seals. I know. I popped the seals and it cost me $2500.

Mpellet offers words of wisdom.
My take on a Parker (I fish a 25' Sou'Wester out of Hatteras for the last 10 years) is pretty much in line with his comments.
Anytime the winds much over 15knots and/or the seas much over 3-4' you really should reconsider going offshore. Its not that you can't survive the effort, you will not enjoy the day.
The Mod V hulls pound going into the sea even trimmed down and going 13 knots.
Plus the pilot house puts you in the worst place (up front) to endure the pounding.
At 13 knots, It takes a long time to get anywhere
I think down sea in anything over 4' x 4sec she's pretty bad.
The boat is pretty flat underneath and she wanders quite a bit.
Surfing down waves for an hour or 2 as the weather worsens is just not a great day.

Don't get me wrong, I love my boat. I have been offshore 3 times in her already this year.
On a pretty day, she is indeed a joy. Nothing beats a day in the Gulf Stream catching a fish or 3 on your boat, where you are master and commander.

Remain calm, be willing to skip an "iffy" day here and there and you will be rewarded with many fine days out in the briny deep.

There's a blue marlin out there with your name on it waiting for you to release it.

Back