Issues with f225 yamaha

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMARSALA

Reaction score
I have an 03 F225 on my 2520xl with just under 500 hours on it. Up until this fall the motor was great and I would run 31-32 knots at WOT with 5800-6000 rpms. Now I can not get more that 5200 rpms out of the motor and my top end is only 25 kts (unless I trim the motor up until it begin to cavitate). Additionally, my fuel consumption has increased. I am far from a mechanic but I changed both fuel filters, ran all of the fuel out of the tank. added fuel treatment (ethanol and a stabilizer), checked to make sure all 6 cyclinders were firing. The engine starts no problem, idles perfectly and seems to run smooth - just not with the same power. Any ideas? Suggestions? Or recommendations for a good Yamaha mechanic in the Monmouth/Ocean County NJ area. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Did you check the travel on your throttle cable and adjustments at your throttle link?

Regarding the growth on the bottom - I hauled the boat and power washed it just in case. The growth wasn't bad and it didn't seem to make a difference. I have not checked the adjustment on the throttle cables. I guess that is something I will have to consider. I am still in the water and using the boat. How difficult is the throttle cable adjustment?

bdgrbu":2zuquryk said:
Did you check the travel on your throttle cable and adjustments at your throttle link?

Didn't Yamaha issue a recall or TSB about something to do with the throttle??

I believe you are right regarding the recall. I had that part done by the Parker dealer several years ago. I believe that issue was causing the boat to stay in gear when it was pulled into nuetral

As mentioned, check the throw on the throttle cable to make sure your getting open all the way. Also, next tankful dump half a gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel. If it's a fuel or carbon problem that will fix it CHEAP! 15 bucks a gallon at Pep Boys... I have an 03 f225 and use the stuff religiously. Never a problem... After initial treatment you can cut back to recommended amount...

Back