Jack plate on Parker 2300SE? & closing transom on same b

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U channel (or C channel) on the inside is a great idea.
Adds more rigidity.

If I went with 2 U channel bars on the inside would I even need a plate on the outside? The jack plate alone would have a larger foot print on the outside than just the motor bracket alone

jkm412":26gu1gz3 said:
If I went with 2 U channel bars on the inside would I even need a plate on the outside? The jack plate alone would have a larger foot print on the outside than just the motor bracket alone

I would.
It creates a 'sandwich'.

Yes , but don't use silicone......A simple bead of 5200 around the hole....Inside and outside.

brackets are the only place I use 5200........For thruhull X-Ducers I use 4200.

Back to the U channel.................. Let it run past the edge of the Porta Bracket. Lets say the Porta bracket is 18in wide.

Make the U channel 24 or 26in wide if you have room. Another thing.....The outboard edges of the U channel that actually touch the inside of the transom where the saw cut is, when you cut it to length

Take a flapper style grinding disc and round the edge that actually touches the transom.....Just a nise little radius so it does not create a Hard spot and set up a possible stress point.

So I only need 5200 around the motor bolt holes, nothing around the support braces?

I was planning on making the length as long as possible and may even go with a 6" u channel of space allows

Yes Just around the holes. inside and outside ...6in U channel is Overkill. Not Nessissary

I started a new thread on this so you can ignore below message.

I know this is an older thread but I have a question pertaining to the “u channel” being used in place of the typical outboard support plate.

What’s is the thickness of the aluminum you recommend? Are there any corrosion concerns with the typical bolts and the aluminum channel? Lastly, where can I obtain this u channel and is there anything I should pay attention to, like type of aluminum or quality of product?

I have been doing a bit of maintenance on my boat and wish I had paid better attention 3 years ago when I bought it. The bottom outboard bolts were not supported with anything other than a washer, a square washer, which is digging into the transom. I want to clean it up and do it right before further damage.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

Back