Jacking a trailer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photoguy

Reaction score
Just discovered a slow leak on one of the tires (rear) on my dual axle, leaf spring trailer holding my 2110. Keeping an eye on it and have put a jack stand in place for weight relief in the event that it goes really soft. I may try to get to this over the winter if the weather accommodates and swap out a new wheel and tire as these are pretty old.

Harbor freight sells an inexpensive floor jack rated for 2 tons. I'm figuring that should be sufficient as I'm only raising a portion of the overall weight. I think the boat is 3500 dry+175 Suzuki +fuel and other items still on board...I'm guessing that I'm close. I have a bottle jack that's rated for more weight but not enough ground clearance to get this under the springs.

Presuming that the best place to position the jack is where the leaf springs attach to the axle?...so as to raise the wheel off the ground with least amount of jacking as possible? THe trailer is currently on relatively level grass/dirt, I'll put a 2X12 under the jack.

Any insight appreciated-

We've blocked every trailer off the ground for Winter storage for 30+ years now.

1) Lower tongue as LOW as it can go

2) Add wood blocks under rear frame of trailer behind tandem wheels

3) Raise trailer and block at 'Y' where trailer side frames meet the center

Bonus - SAVES your axle(s) and bearings too!

I personally have seen cinderblocks freeze, crack & fail ... and damage boats, so I cannot endorse their use, albeit cheap.

hmmm...that sound like a pretty easy way to raise the wheels off the ground!

So that I have this right...you use the existing trailer 'jack' at the tongue to lift the whole thing (once you've blocked the rear)?

Photoguy":qjxf9yu2 said:
hmmm...that sound like a pretty easy way to raise the wheels off the ground!

So that I have this right...you use the existing trailer 'jack' at the tongue to lift the whole thing (once you've blocked the rear)?

I would be nervous with that approach, unless of course your jack at the tongue is rated for the weight...most are only rated for 1500lbs. Just my .02 :)

Noahs_Ark":2qwt8cte said:
I would be nervous with that approach, unless of course your jack at the tongue is rated for the weight...most are only rated for 1500lbs. Just my .02 :)
Safety 1st of course, as the medical "add on" tools don't work nary as well as the accident "take off" ones!

I do have a heavy duty tongue jack, but one could use a floor jack or bottle jack for assistance too.

While you are looking at those Harbor Freight floor jacks, consider the aluminum 'low profile' style.
I used to have an all-steel Craftsman 3-ton floor jack that worked great on my Jeep, but it was way too tall to get under the (much lower) Corvette.
Gave the Craftsman to my son-in-law so he could use it with his horse trailer, and got the low profile aluminum floor jack from HF for the Vette.

One more tip I discovered... Grab a package of hockey pucks next time you are in the sporting goods store.
The pucks fit perfectly in the 'pad' of the floor jack, and they will keep the jack from slipping and scarring the underside of your vehicle.

Back