*****Kanberra Gel******

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemo sabe

Reaction score
Hello all - I want to pass along a product that I have found to be super. Last spring, I was busy planning a lot of ways to add ventilation to prevent mold growth in my 2320. This included a dorade box, rain shields, and an additional deck plate to add an exhaust fan.........to date, I have not used any of these items. A friend who runs a good size Cabo told me about this product and, to be honest, I could not believe that it would magically prevent mold. So I got a small container and tested it in my shower....... 0 mold on tub, curtain etc. This season I kept one container open in the pilothouse and one in the bilge while on my mooring.........appears to have totally prevented mold growth ........Priceless !

Plan to also keep it in the boat's house and bilge over the winter. Hope this helps someone else !

http://kanberragel.com/kanberra-gel/

sarge

YEOW! That stuff's expensive!
4oz. $31.99
32oz. $139.99

"The dissipation rate for Kanberra Gel® will vary by conditions. In typical applications, the gel will take anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks to completely evaporate however it will have a residual effect for up to 45 days. After this time it is recommended to replace the Kanberra Gel® in order for it continually to offer protection."

How much do you use to protect your boat? How many containers do you go through in a winter?

Dorade box $50

Window visors $60

Lifetime protection for $110 investment ... priceless!

I used that stuff before I installed my Dorado box and widow rain shields, it does work very well, I put one small can in the boat and it lasted all winter and then some. But like Dale said once I got the boat ventilated I found that I don't need it. But the product does work like it says it does!

Attachments

• kanberra gel.jpg
    kanberra gel.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 416
For someone storing their boat under cover for an extended period, this might be an option.
Expensive... but apparently it works.

I assume, Dorade box and widow rain shields is a topic of past discussion here on CP. Care to elaborate or share a link to those discussions?

HOTPURSUIT

I tried your links to no avail, so I tried both on the CP search. Searches only produced this page.

Do you mind trying again? Thanks.

DaleH":3km4gjl5 said:
Dorade box $50

Window visors $60

Lifetime protection for $110 investment ... priceless!

Hey there....can you expand on this? Have a new 2320 coming and want to make sure I do everything I can to protect it and make sure I don't have a mold/mildew problem

thanks, appreciate it!

@ DaleH & HOTPURSUIT

Help me out here. What am I missing? To me, that forward facing vent looks like a scoop just waiting to send vast amounts of sea water directly into your cabin.

Whether I use Kanberra Gel, one of these vents, keeping my boat drier inside is a good thing. This vent just looks like a disaster waiting to happen. What is it I'm not getting?

otolith":uo78vc2g said:
@ DaleH & HOTPURSUIT

Help me out here. What am I missing? To me, that forward facing vent looks like a scoop just waiting to send vast amounts of sea water directly into your cabin.

Whether I use Kanberra Gel, one of these vents, keeping my boat drier inside is a good thing. This vent just looks like a disaster waiting to happen. What is it I'm not getting?

Hi - Sounds like I started something not intended. First, just because I have not yet installed my dorade box - do not assume it is a "disaster waiting to happen". If you take the time to look at these products, you will see that they are very well designed to allow water to escape without entering the boat, because the hole into the boat is at the Opposite end as the scoop. Dale did mention that in very rough conditions with sea water coming over the house, he needed to twist off the scoop and install the cover which comes with the units. Second, rain shields allow for ventilation of the truck cabin windows without drilling any holes. They use a strong adhesive and fit over the window molding on the outside of the hull. With the shields on, you can open the windows from the inside, leaving the screens in place. The shields will deflect the rain from entering unless you have very heavy rain coming down at a horizontal angle.

If you use the search feature on this site, there is more info than you could possibly use. The members here are extremely helpful and many are also very capable engineers and mechanics.

sarge

kemo sabe

I hope you don't think I was being sarcastic, that wasn't my intention.

I'll try the search, obviously I'm missing A LOT.

There are two styles of those rain shields... The type that attaches to the outside (as seen in the photo above)
and the type that go on the inside and replace the screens. The internal shields have integral screens.

I have the Beckson 'internal' rain shields on my boat, model number IRS 512S (5"x12"), which fit the windows in my 2520.
If you go the internal route, measure your opening before ordering.
Some members have found that not every model uses the same size windows.

Yup Kevin, that's why I decided to go with the external. My 2003 2520 does not have Beckson ports, and I didn't see any on their site that were close enough to my size widow to try, so I would have had to order complete set of ports and shields, so I took the cheaper route and tried the external rain shields. The external rain shields have been on my boat for about 1-1/2 years now with no problems, still look new...and absolutely no more mildew. I wish the boat had Beckson's the internal rain shields are nice

Back