Kicker motor

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzumi

Reaction score
I pick up my 2520 at the end of this week. I am very excited but have some questions for you old hands.

The boat is the modified vee and has a single Yamaha 250 on it but no kicker. I like the idea of adding a kicker for safety reasons.

Question #1. How do I mount the kicker? Is there some sort of bracket I will have to add to mount the kicker on the main outboard bracket?

Question #2. What horsepower will I need?

Question #3. What shaft length will be needed?

Question #4. What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any info. Also, if there is already a thread on this, I didn't find it but then again, I'm lousy at doing searches...

John

#1 - If you have an Armstrong bracket with a full length platform, there is a kicker mounting bracket that bolts to the platform. You can buy from a Parker dealer or straight from Armstrong.

#2 8-9.9 hp (high thrust model) is all you need.

#3 With the Armstrong bracket you need a 25" shaft

I just put a 9.9 4s yahm on my 2320. The bracket for the motor is s/s wt approx 15# cost $300. I boat fresh water had a alum bracket made for mine 3/8" thich wt#4 cost $95. I agree 8-9.9 ht 4s would be plenty

Thanks for the info. I'll have my boatshop order the bracket for the kicker.

Is 9.9 hi-thrust really enough to move a 2520 against wind and wave to get home? I'll be depending on it for more than just trolling. And, yes, I realize a kicker is not for waterskiing; seems some boaters have reported being underpowered with small kickers when they had to move in moderate seas.

jzumi":1hjt0tr9 said:
Thanks for the info. I'll have my boatshop order the bracket for the kicker.

Is 9.9 hi-thrust really enough to move a 2520 against wind and wave to get home? I'll be depending on it for more than just trolling. And, yes, I realize a kicker is not for waterskiing; seems some boaters have reported being underpowered with small kickers when they had to move in moderate seas.

I just re-powered with a new 4-stroke and removed my kicker motor for the following reasons:

1. I no longer need a different motor for trolling, as the Honda 4-stroke will troll all day long with no problem (unlike my previous 2-stroke)

2. I no longer have the reliability concerns that I had with the old 2-stroke. I never knew when it was going to crap out on me and ever trip was a roll of the dice.

3. The kicker caused the boat (a 2320) to list badly to the side on which it was mounted because on a deep v, it had to be mounted pretty far outboard to clear the bottom of the hull when deployed

4. The kicker would push the boat at about 4 to 6 mph in calm seas and no wind. The one time I used it to try to get home after the motor died, we did fine until rounding a point and heading out to sea from our local islands. Once I rounded the point, I was head-into a 15 knot wind and could not make headway with the kicker because of the sail area of the pilot house.

For these reasons, I removed and sold my kicker. I do have Vessel Assist "Gold" however.

Back