Launching Advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbieleck

Reaction score
When launching my 2520xl I usually unhook the winch cable and back the boat in until it gently slides off the trailer. Recently I used a steeper ramp and had the boat slide off of the trailer prematurely. Fortunately, there was only minor damage, but I really don't want a reoccurrence of that happening. The problem is, if I leave the cable hook attached and back the boat in until it will slide off the trailer, I can't release the cable hook because of the constant tension on the cable as the boat slides into the water unless I want to climb out to the end of the trailer. BTW I am often by myself or with small children that are not too much help with launching the boat. Does anybody have any advice or technique(s) that would help with this situation? Thanks

FishFactory":ytavxoey said:
My boat will float above trailer. Then, I release winch. Boat won't slide as it's floating.
Hey thats a good idea FF,did yer think of that one,or the Egret? :lol:
MJ.

sbieleck

I have used a steep ramp before and had the same problem. I have a roller trailer and it can make things worse going in on a steep ramp. Position the trailer in the water where you want it. Then take a 1/2 X 25' dock line attach it to the center cleat and wrap it 3 to 5 times around a forward piling at the dock and tie a loose knot. As you loosen the winch strap the line will take up and hold the boat and you can then remove your winch strap and safety chain. You now have one dock line on, put on the other line and slowly unwrap the line while keeping it tight and float your boat back. I also put on (2) hanging fenders so the boat can rest against the dock. When your boat is full of fuel sometimes this all happens kinda quick on the steeper ramps. This has worked well for me many times. Good Luck!

I attach a line to my bow cleat, take four wraps around my winch post on the trailer. No need to tie a knot. The friction from the four wraps will hold the boat. release the winch cable with the now attached bow line holding the boat. disconnect winch cable from boat. At this time I would also have a stern line tied off to the dock with plenty of slack. Now start undoing the wraps. Boat will slide off trailer under control of the bow line. Now I tie off the bow line, back the truck in till boat floats then go park the truck. I usually launch and retrieve solo and that works for me.

ditto to above post of rope on winch standard. My wife actually invented this method as our ramp is more like a cliff dive. She can walk the trailer tonge and undo the "unwraps" to release boat to get just enough slack in the winch strap to unhook from eye on boat and keep tooties dry. Be care with unhooking the boat eye from winch prematurely, I am sure there are a few "ramp plants" posted on UTube.

FishFactory":pyc2pmva said:
Are northern ramps so steep yer can't simply back boat in water, (boat's now floating), unhook winch and drive out from under boat?

Some good info here Doug ...

FWIW I find a variety of ramp profiles up here in New England, even whilst on the SAME ramp! Meaning, with out 9-10' tidal range, they tend to be steeper at the lower tide and then flatten out on the high tide. I know of one ramp, actually where I launch sometimes, where at high tide, the ramp grade is so slight that my tow vehicle will be 'wet' and yet the boat hull is still high and dry out of the water!

I doubt I could count on a few fingers the number of ramps that have a consistent grade ...

Thanks for the replies. They are all good and ones that I have used in the past. My prior boat which is the same size (25ft. whitewater) as my Parker never came off the trailer until it was in the water. This is the same type trailer (bunk) but it really seems to want to slide off even on a ramp that is not that steep. I think wrapping the rope around the winch will work best for me, but it seems to put a lot of stress on the winch and I am a little leary of the rope breaking.

25 Whitewater??? That was my last boat too, any pics??

Heres my old one, sold it to a friend.

Great Hull!!!!! Kind of miss the ride but not the drift.

islandshot-1.jpg

Bryan,
Here is a picture of mine. I sold it back to the friend that I bought it from 10 years ago. You're right. Great hull. Beautiful ride. I really wanted something with more room and a way to get out of the weather. Parker is perfect for that.

JC- my rope is new and pretty thick(5/8), just not sure it is meant to hold 6,000lbs. of weight.

Attachments

• Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 691
I just had some experiences with a steep ramp here on the Cape. We did a simple trick that works like a charm.

We've got a Load-Rite roller trailer, and an F-350 dually.

First, back the trailer in as far as you desire. Our truck's rear tires were wet, but the water wasn't up to the wheels themselves. The back 1/3 of the hull was in the water.
Second, run a line from the starboard midship cleat up to the bow cleat, but just run it through the hole in the cleat, don't tie/wrap it off. Take the bitter end of that line and run it from the bow down to the trailer post (where the winch is).
Third, tie an alpine butterfly in the line, between the bow and the post. Tie a slipknot through the bight of the butterfly, and toss the bitter end onto the bow.
Fourth, slack off the trailer winch, letting the line take the strain. Disconnect the bow eye. and safety chain.
Fifth, hop onto the boat bring the bitter end of the line down to the console, and when you are ready, pull it. That'll pop the slip knot, and the boat will slide down the trailer into the water.
Finally, pull the now-untied line back aboard from the midship cleat. Now you are in the water, with no trailing lines. Voila! Go dock the boat and move your truck/trailer.

This works if you can get aboard the boat from the dock next to the ramp. If you can't, just tie the line right before you back down the ramp. I'd put a rear safety line on in that case, another slip knotted butterfly from the transom to the trailer. Just pop the aft one once you are down the ramp, then the forward one. Its incredibly easy, and I always chuckle when I see people trying all sorts of crazy schemes to launch alone. I've seen more boats dumped at the ramp, or launched into the channel than I care to remember.

We usually have two people, but this is very doable with one. Just make sure to tie the slip knot with a LONG loop, so any slippage won't result in the boat falling off the trailer.

Has anybody tried the Snapper remote boat latch? I don't know much about it; I just saw an ad on tv. I went to the website www.snapperremoteboatlatch.com. They have a video, but my computer is to slow to play it without taking all night. Just curious if anyone has any information on it. Sounds like it could be the solution I am looking for. I don't know if it will hold the boat going down the ramp until you are ready for it to be released. I appreciate any input.

I just saw the commercial on Sportscenter this morning for it. Its 399. It apparently allows you to hit a remote to let the boat go when you are ready but that doesnt change the fact that you need to tie a rope. I typically put my boat in the water to the point that the motors lower units are in. Then i get out of the truck and tie a line from the cleats on the side depending on tide to the dock with enough slack. Then i unlatch the boat which doesnt slide at this point because of friction. Then i back in more until it comes off and the line takes care of the rest. I have a bunk trailer. I have no idea how a roller trailer would work. Seems like it would have to be a 2 person job on a steep ramp.

Back