Leak between deck and hull

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott-MD

Reaction score
I was pounding home through some nasty chop on the Chesapeake on Saturday, and noticed that water was pouring down the inside wall of the v-berth on the port side. It must be a breach of some kind where the deck is sealed to the hull, so that spray is forced up between them when I go through a big wave with the tabs down. Anybody encountered this before? What's the solution? The boat is a 2005 2520MV.

Easy - Apply BoatLife Life Seal under rubrail to seal the shoe-box joint.

Harder - Remove the rubrail and re-bed the overlap shoe-box joint, then re-install, bed, and seal the rubrail. Pain in the arse she is ... and you MUST make witness marks and watch your temperatures, or you'll stretch it ot shrink it and have a beyatch of a time at it. If cold, I find a hair dryer or heat gun works to soften it up.

Mine does the same on the Stdb side, I need to caulk it too but have been lazy about removing the rub rail.

I am afraid to just caulk the bottom because that may cause rain to leak in because it can't get out from the underside of the rub rail.

Ignoring it has not worked. :D

Thanks! The easy plan sounds good, and makes sense--although I suspect that any repair of that nature will have to be repeated periodically given the incredible forces generated by that spray from underneath. Worth a couple of tries in any event, before embarking on the trickier real fix.

Good point about the rain but the volume of water that could get in that way is far smaller than what I was seeing this weekend!

Back