Lewmar Profish/Freefall Windless Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfunandson

Reaction score
I have had the profish 700 installed for just over 2 years now and a small issue has developed. When freefalling the anchor the 8 plait rode will often "jump" out of the gypsy just after the anchor hits bottom. Almost like a a reel over running it self.

The rode jumps out and gets jammed/stuck between the control arm and the body. This never happend until this fall. Do we think it is simply the spring that holds the control arm down?

The teeth on the gypsy look good, but the rode has been getting a little chewed up but I think thats from getting jammed nearly every time I free fall it.

I have a similar problem when the rode gets twisted. Pulling it out re-laying into the locker, making sure of no kinks/twists, fixes the problem.

" The rode jumps out and gets jammed/stuck between the control arm and the body. This never happend until this fall. Do we think it is simply the spring that holds the control arm down?"

My 8 plait rode on my 700FF.sticks the same place but it happens just after I release the freefall. I don't know if the anchor slows the rope down just enough when it hits the water for slack or why it occurs, but it happens 90% of the time. I then have to go out on the bow and release the control arm, then it falls okay. This has happened ever since I installed the windlass. It is a pain in the ---.

Mine will do the same thing. I have taken the 25 feet of chain and 300 feet of rode completely out of the locker. I then washed it with fabric softener and let it dry. When I reload it, it laid really nice in the locker. No issues the next few times I go to use it. had to do this a couple of times over the summer.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

ceblizzard":9vm7vug4 said:
Mine will do the same thing. I have taken the 25 feet of chain and 300 feet of rode completely out of the locker. I then washed it with fabric softener and let it dry. When I reload it, it laid really nice in the locker. No issues the next few times I go to use it. had to do this a couple of times over the summer.

Charlie
Eden, Maryland

Careful with fabric softener. Sure, it makes the line softer, but it does so by coating the fibers with chemicals that reduce friction (and increase electrical conductivity). Those chemicals bond to the surface of the microscopic fibers in the line, and there's no research on how they affect strength or elasticity of your nylon anchor rode. You can try just washing it in water, which should soften it up a little... or invest in 8-plait line, which lies better without any attention at all.

Back