live lining bluefish

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piano player

Reaction score
so we were out yesterday @ the mouth of eastern bay (off chesapeake bay) and we were anchored with a number of other charter and private boats. we had caught 15 spot and there were medium size blues about.

our success rate in bringing blues on board is about 40%. we hook the spot just beneath the front portion of the dorsal fin. i've tried many different methods but this one seems to work best. any ideas on doing better?

thanks

piano player":3h24wz40 said:
we hook the spot just beneath the front portion of the dorsal fin.

That's how I do it.
I use a 5/0 circle hook and the fish catches himself.

generally, i hook the fish up through the lips, and then run a stinger treble back and hook it though right below the anal fin, just barely in the skin. i use heavy mono, 60-80lb is normal. that way, youve got enough strength to handle the toothy ones, while you dont shoot your chances at a striper by using wire.

i'll try a circle hook. i have tried running a second hook from the main hook, but the spot moves like a contraption, and the blues still seem to miss the trailer hook.

i'll try a trailing treble hook next time i try two hooks.

have any of you noticed that there seem to be fewer spot around and that they are considerably smaller than last year?

where have the rockfish gone?

and haven't we had some good weather!

Forget the circle hooks for blues, use standard 5/0 J hook. Blues are a bite and slash feeder, unlike rock which swallow and crush their prey. Circles are damn effective for minimising gut-hooked rock, but blues hit hard and fast and dont always get around the circle hook....thus less hookups.
Hook the spot near the dorsal and the use a 6" leader to a stinger hook thru the tail.....they may still eat the middle and leave you with 2 pieces.
I've been fishing the same area and wearing them out with a gold 2oz Stingsilver trimmed with feathers...single hook....not treble.

wearing them out with a gold 2oz Stingsilver trimmed with feathers...single hook....not treble

i will try the 5/0 with stinger on a 6 inch leader this weekend.

i looked at the haw river tackle site. thanks for the direction.

i didn't see a stingsilver with anything but a treble hook. i guess you clip off two. i have been using a double rig with two 1/2 ounce jigs. i lost my winner at the beginning of the season. this rig had been very successful for several years. however, i have both made rigs and bought rigs since. none of these have worked as well for some reason. the old rig had a sort of barrel shape jig with a feather skirt. i'm pretty sure we got it @ a tackle shop near indian river inlet in delaware where we used to fish alot. and i'm not sure that the jigs were 1/2 ounce

i will try the stingsilver since i enjoy casting with light tackle. my wife likes to live line. so we'll be @ both. thanks

piano player":1mw9x2kr said:
i didn't see a stingsilver with anything but a treble hook. i guess you clip off two.

You can do that, but I replace the treble with a 2/0 stainless J-hook attached with a split ring.
I've replaced all of the trebles on my jigs that way.

I thought you were actually live lining the bluefish, that's what we do for mako's and thresher up here in the northeast. Rubber band the stinger to the tale.

Makes for an interesting spread. :D :D :D :D

that's what we do for mako's and thresher up here in the northeast. Rubber band the stinger to the tale.

i've tried to rubberband a stinger to the tale. it never holds. you must use a very small rubberband. any thoughts?

and i will check marty's. haven't been there in some time.

#64 triple wrapped.

I guess the hold because they usually come back with a shark on the end instead of a bluefish. 8) 8) 8)

Back