Lobstering setup options

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Picked up some used pots and a recreational license and are going to get me some lobsters this summer. Thing is, with 36" traps, I just asking to mark up my new hull. Anyone one have recommendations. Don't want to break the bank at this point as I only have 10 pots and will likely only have five out at a time. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark

Make up a "saddle" of 2 pc. of thin (1/4") starboard or plywood to fit the topsides to the waterline. Cut a pc of pr. treated 2 x 10 or whatever width will span the top of the gunwhale and fasten those panels into it. Line the inside with thin carpet to set against the gelcoat so it doesn't scratch. You can attache foam or swim noodles inside it so it doesn't flop around, or you can hinge it for a superior fit. If you put a hinge on it you can make up a hook shape on the inboard panel to fetch up under the inside edge of the gunwhale to help secure it. Put a couple of lines to tie it down and you're in business. When you're going to haul pots take it with you, otherwise leave it on the dock.

I got an industrial style floor mat from Home Depot, drape it over the side anchoring the inside using a couple of lines through holes punched in the mat. The carpeted side goes against the hull, the rubber side facing out. Can hose it off after and roll it up for storage. If it gets too gross mid season, trash it and get another for less than $20.

Wouldn't last for commercial lobstering, but for recreational it does the trick!

I have some 3-foot traps and I just haul by hand, grab the bridle, and place the trap on the gunnel. The wooden runners on the traps haven't damaged anything and I made a short tether that clips to the trap (attaching to my T-top) which works well to hold the trap.

Besides the mess, it works great...... Quick rinse back at the dock and all's good!

I haul mostly 3 foot traps for recreation as well. A number of years ago I purchased an electric pot hauler (Ace line hauler). It works well for recreation - a bit slow for deeper traps but the slow speed helps ensure you don't ding up hull. I only use it when hauling a lot - if not I just pull by hand. Either way when trap gets near the surface I grab the bridle, pick it up without dragging up side of hull and set the wood runners on the gunnel. I sometimes use a piece of rubber roofing on the top of the gunnel - especially when hauling messy or rusty traps.

Back