Long Shat or Short?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMarkCA

Reaction score
I'll be putting a 9.8 on my 2320 soon, do most go with the long-shaft or regular when using something similar to one of these?

17381559_LRG.jpg

25” shaft. Even with that style mount. I just put a T9.9 Yamaha on my 2320 and it works great. The high thrust is needed for the weight of these hulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mheltunen":21o0fcyj said:
25” shaft. Even with that style mount. I just put a T9.9 Yamaha on my 2320 and it works great. The high thrust is needed for the weight of these hulls.

Thanks for the info.

How many knots will it push the 2320, three or four?

MikeMarkCA":1w5pz2aw said:
mheltunen":1w5pz2aw said:

Thanks for the info.

In calm seas it can go about 5 knots (perhaps a tad more). I use it on the Great Lakes and have no problem trolling in 2-4’ seas. I cannot stress the importance of the high thrust. You will not be happy with a typical 9.9. Although that may depend on what you intend to use it for.

mheltunen":1ipdc1uc said:
MikeMarkCA":1ipdc1uc said:
mheltunen":1ipdc1uc said:

Thanks for the info.

In calm seas it can go about 5 knots (perhaps a tad more). I use it on the Great Lakes and have no problem trolling in 2-4’ seas. I cannot stress the importance of the high thrust. You will not be happy with a typical 9.9. Although that may depend on what you intend to use it for.

Trolling for salmon and halibut is usually around two knots, so I don't think I would need more. Hi-thrust, do 9.9's from most manufactures come with a regular model and a hi-thrust model? What would make a 9.9 hi-thrust, prop pitch, different fuel settings?

MikeMarkCA":1kum2fj0 said:
mheltunen":1kum2fj0 said:
MikeMarkCA":1kum2fj0 said:
mheltunen said:

Thanks for the info.

Trolling for salmon and halibut is usually around two knots, so I don't think I would need more. Hi-thrust, do 9.9's from most manufactures come with a regular model and a hi-thrust model? What would make a 9.9 hi-thrust, prop pitch, different fuel settings?

Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable will jump in and correct me, but as far as I know Yamaha seems to make the only “true” high thrust T9.9. The prop pitch is designed to move heavy weight slowly and the gear case is more robust than their f-series. I looked at Honda as well but they seemed to use the same gears but a larger prop to accomplish the same thing. A friend of mine has a Suzuki 9.9 and although it is fuel injected it seems to run higher rpms while trolling (2-3mph) than my Yamaha. It also does not seem to turn as well into a chop.

Back