Looking for a ride on a Parker 2300 DVCC

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captmatt

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hoping that someone could be generous enough to take me out for a ride on their Parker 2300 DV. I am seriously considering buying one of these boats (looking at a 2009 and a 2008). But, alas, I have never actually been on one on the water! I want to experience ride and sea keeping abilities as well as stability on the drift. This is a big purchase and I want to make it wisely and with the benefit of direct experience.

I have not found any dealers with a 23 DVCC in the water, so I have not been able to get a ride in that fashion.

I would be willing to cover any reasonable costs for fuel and such as well as lunch. Alternatively, I would also be willing to trade for a full day fishing on my boat (an 18' Jones Brothers CC) at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) this fall for stripers on fly and light tackle.

I live in Silver Spring, MD and also have a place in Cape Charles, VA. So I would be willing to travel to almost anywhere on the Chesapeake.

If you have a 23 DVCC and can help me out, please send me a PM. I will respond to PMs with my phone and email address.

Thanks!

PS I would also welcome comments about the boat. I am looking for something for both inshore and offshore use and that is a compromise between ride in a chop and stability on the drift. I fly fish for striped bass, albies, bonito and blues between Massachusetts and the CBBT. I also want to expand my possibilities for light tackle offshore for tuna, etc. Finally, I need the 8' 6" beam to be able to trailer legally.

Sorry, can't give you a ride this fall as we pulled the boat for the season last weekend.

However, I can comment on it. I use mine for light tackle, inshore stripers and blues, on lures, live bait, and flies. There were several times this season when we had triples going on stirpers with one on each of the bait categories. So, it easily handles three anglers, or two if both are fly fishing.

We also tuna fish with it, between 15 and 30 miles offshore. Mine doesn't have outriggers, but that hasn't seemed to matter so far!

I have been out in the boat offshore in stuff that made me question my sanity, but always felt the boat could handle way more than I could. My buddy has a Regulator 23 and there is definitely a difference between our boats. The Parker carries its beam further forward and provides a much larger fishing platform, including behind the leaning post. The trade off is that the Reg has a bit deeper vee and rides smoother in the snot.

The Parker handles a drift better than the Reg and doesn't roll nearly as much.

It's funny, I was just thinking about what I would get for my next boat and couldn't think of any I would want for my needs now more than the Parker.

One more thing. The layout is very simple. All boxes and bait wells drain by gravity, not by macerator pumps. There are no nooks or crannies to get all gummed up, and even the color is easy to maintain. I always say that the Parker cream never looks spectacular, but is easy to keep looking good. It is clearly the pickup truck of boats; simple and reliable.

I recommend it highly.

Dave

I have a 2320 dv sc, 2009 model with the 250four stroke. Im set and ready to go.....Most of my type of fishing is Chesapeake Bay trolling for stripers. I am always looking for fishing partners. Im in southern Maryland, down in Calvert county. I fish almost every tuesday and have no problem taking you out. Weekends are tough for me, since I have young kids and usally have to work. Let me know if your interested in going and what days are good for you. I can check my schedule and let you know. I have ramp passes and all the gear we would need, help with the fuel and we are off.

thanks Scott Macwilliams

Hi Scott,

Very generous of you! I always say that real men go fishing on weekdays.

I sent you a PM.

Cap, I looked at properties in Cape Charles 5 or 6 (or more) years ago.
Great town, but I started looking after the property values shot up beyond my means.

Cape Charles is a great base of operations in order to fish the CBBT.
Great protected marina with nice slips, fuel, and a tackle shop to boot.
You are a lucky guy. :wink:

Cape Charles is a nice get away from the city and has great opportunities to be on the water. Rest assured that property values there have come back to reality (like a rock). We bought recently and there are deals to be had.

Shoot me a PM any time and I'll give you the fishing report.

You are right - I am a lucky guy many times over.

Megabyte":2n8ri5tf said:
Cap, I looked at properties in Cape Charles 5 or 6 (or more) years ago.
Great town, but I started looking after the property values shot up beyond my means.

Cape Charles is a great base of operations in order to fish the CBBT.
Great protected marina with nice slips, fuel, and a tackle shop to boot.
You are a lucky guy. :wink:

If you want to make the trip to jersey I would be happy to give you a ride. Anyway I have a 2000 23 DVCC and I will give you my honest opinions of in

1. Headsea ride- fair to good(not like contender,regulator,etc)

2. Stablity on drift- very good

3. Speed- not a go fast

4. Build quality- very good(not perfect)

All in all a good nononsense fishing platorm that can do a little bit of everything

pile":3dawekqx said:
If you want to make the trip to jersey I would be happy to give you a ride. Anyway I have a 2000 23 DVCC and I will give you my honest opinions of in
1. Headsea ride- fair to good(not like contender,regulator,etc)
2. Stablity on drift- very good
3. Speed- not a go fast
4. Build quality- very good(not perfect)
All in all a good nononsense fishing platorm that can do a little bit of everything

On point 1, I am surprised to hear that. I was thinking that the head sea ride would be good because of the sharp entry. Now I am not expecting it to be like a 24.5 degree deadrise boat, but I don't expect any pounding in a chop either.

On point 3, what is your usual cruise speed when in say a 1-2 foot chop?

Point 2 is exactly what I was hoping.

Point 4 matches my impression as well.

1-2 chop in bay I do 23knts. 1-2 in ocean I do 20knts :lol:

Really confused how 1-2 in bay and 1-2 in ocean differ...I was under the impression that the government put seas under the same measure. I have a 23se and it is a rough ass ride with anything coming on the side. Straight in on 1-2s I dig the bow with the tabs, no problem.

With that being said, I also have a 26 grady CC.....completely different ride.....hence - DV v MV (+ many other things). We go to the race/plum gut/mtk/block etc etc fishing onthe parker as often as we have time and it is no problem.

The DV, which I have been on 10+ times, rides well. It tends to porpoise when going straight (similiar to a grady), but holds its ground drifting for a DV.

I'm glad to give you an honest opinion.

if I were buying a Caddy I would talk to a person who is actually sitting behind the wheel of one at a red light verses somebody walking the dealers car lot.

among other boats including a DV 28 w/twins, i have owned a 2004 Parker 23 DVCC and currently have a 2006 2320. same hull just a little more weight fwd on the PH. both boats are stern heavy by design and like weight fwd, more so on the CC. without any modifications both models can be a little "bow happy", again more so on the CC. issue easily resolved with larger tabs.

the 23 DV hull rides as well as any other 21 degree hull i have ridden. in the appropriate spacing, you can hit the tops of 1-2 waves/chop (bay, ocean or otherwise) and get a reasonably good and dry ride in a head sea. as far as ride goes, a head sea is the the hull's least favorite. it will eat up any other sea especially a down sea. many say that all boats favor a down sea, but i beg to differ. i have ridden some real submarines (wet).

i love the PH i have now, but my favorite and most fun to drive was the CC which i sold due to changes in family dynamics.

good luck in what ever you decide to get.

Attachments

• Library - 1587.jpg
    Library - 1587.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 453
POGE":230kr82c said:
if I were buying a Caddy I would talk to a person who is actually sitting behind the wheel of one at a red light verses somebody walking the dealers car lot.

I thought that I was trying to start a conversation with folks at a red light, so to speak, by posting my questions here. This is where the Parker owners hang out in cyberspace.

Your signature identifies you as an owner of a 23 DVCC. What do you think of the boat? Do you think it would suit me given the questions in my original post?

The 2330 is very good all around in most conditions and can't really think of a condition that can't be managed by triming out(speed, engine tilt, tabs) to match the condition. I would buy another one and think it is the best 23CC on the water :!: The full transom and backet are a plus for safety. Landing fish I just walk from one of the back corners to mid ship and this keep line out of prop that is 3' behind the boat. That was a concern of mine , line in the prop, but just learned to fight fish better and never had an issue with a fish getting line in the bracket or prop due to the increased length.(some of my guest have not) I stay dry until waves are about 3', then I critisize my trim decisions when I get a splash, not the boat. Seas of 2-3' are just fine for this boat and dont to seem to effect it in anyway. Beyound 3' and adjustments have to be made to speed, tilt, ect to run OK. Guest from kids to almost 80 year olds always feel safe on this open boat in sloppy seas. Again this is rather sloppy stuff and the boat is still OK for me. Head seas not a problem, just burry the bow and the Carolina flare does its job. The nose of a Parker looks like a turned up snout just for this reason. I have gone into water as shallow as 2'9" did OK with engine trimmed up a touch. I have not gone over 20 miles out on a good weather day, so I am not a off shore guy. The drift is A+ but large T-top really cathces the wind.You might cast alot to the fish you want to target, that being said the larger T top is a real plus for the sun and rain protection, however, can get some what in the way for some cast. Adding the front deck insert gives a dance floor up front for a caster plenty of room to throw towards the fish if really need room to throw. I would feel naked without the T-top though, I have plastic and canvas and stay dry run'n in the rain under the T-top. you might think about no T-top ?
For power, 225 or 250, but not 200. The 250 is sometimes too fast to troll really slow with the tide, but can now get a Yammy that has adjustment to rpm for slow troll.
So for you I would rec': 2300DV no T-top, front deck insert, 225 with you and 2 guest and inshore fishing, if you are going off shore or more regular guest on board then 250 and t-top with side curtains. Hope this helps, Post some pic's of your purchase.

I HAVE A 96, I LOVE THIS BOAT! THE RIDE IS GREAT. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME TO DELAWARE,I WOULD BE HAPPY TO TAKE YOU OUT AT THE MOUTH OF THE DELAWARE BAY TO FISH FOR STRIPED BASS IN THE RIPS. THAT IS A GOOD PLACE TO SEE HOW SHE DRIFTS AND RIDES IN A CHOPPY SEA. IF YOUR INTERESTED GIVE ME A CALL 302 604 2437,CAPT. KEVIN PARKER

Back