Massive new Electronics build on 55' boat, advice needed

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Reaction score
CP folks,
I'm working with a good friend and captain regarding his new 55' WesMac build. We're trying to figure out what we should do regarding electronics.
He's got experience with Furuno systems, albeit nothing newer than NavNet VX2. On his old boat, we had a PC plotter running Offshore Navigator software, a Furuno 4kw radar, and a FCV series bottom machine.

What he'd like is a dual-display Plotter/Bottom Machine/Radar MFD, preferably with 19" monitors, and a separate PC Plotter, again with Offshore Navigator or some other software package.
I suggested the Furuno MFDBB, a pair of 19" LCDs (not from Furuno, we've had fine luck with PC monitors in the past), a networked Furuno Radar, their network bottom machine, and a GP-36 for backup.

I then discovered that the MaxSea software package can interface with the Furuno system, and you can control the radar from the PC, etc. However, I've found that if the MFDBB goes down, the PC loses ALL data, including GPS, Radar, depth, etc.

There are other options, including RosePoint, who even offer their own radar setups that interface directly with the PC.

Anyone have any thoughts on which setup we should use, or at least point us in the right direction finding someone with this stuff installed. All I can find is scattered info on THT, and a few posts on Panbo. No one seems to use the MFDBB, so its not easy to find a unit to play with. We're going through a dealer in MA, who will do the actual install. He's looking for a boat we can get on and play with the Furuno stuff, but that's not been easy.

Well, the new plan is to go to the Boston Boat Show, and try to find gear to play with.

I spent some time over on BOE, and came up with:

Furuno NavNet 3D Black Box Multi Function Display Processor $7,850.43
Furuno NavNet 3D 6kW 4' Ultra High Definition (UHD™) Digital Radar $4,141.20
Furuno GP330B GPS/WAAS Sensor - NMEA2000 $335.00
Furuno NAVpilot 700 Autopilot $2,965.60
Furuno SC30 Satellite Compass w/o $1,924.23
Furuno GP32 WAAS/GPS Navigator $360.36
Furuno GPA017 $0.00 (Out of stock, $107)
Furuno NavNet 3D Hub $530.15
Furuno 526T-HDD Bronze Broadband Thru-Hull Transducer 1kW (10-Pin) B260 $841.50
Furuno Digital (FDF) Black Box Echosounder Module for NavNet $643.14
Standard Horizon GX2150B Class D 25W Matrix AIS $325.85 x2= $651.70
Furuno FA30 Black Box AIS Receiver $785.40
Speco Color Day/Night Bullet Marine Camera with IR LEDs $167.49 x3= $502.47 (One in lazarette, one in engine room, one on work deck)

You ready to lose your lunch?

Grand Total: $21,531.18

W/O install, wiring, VFH antennae, or any monitors for the MDFBB. Or a shipboard computer loaded with Nobeltec Trident TimeZero.

:lol: needless to say, this isn't the build we'll be going with. I bet there will be some deletions (the SC30 is gonna go for sure), there are cheaper autopilots, etc.
Ah well, its fun to dream.

You should seriously consider heading down to the Miami Boat Show, on Feb 16th-20th... The number of Electronics vendors and their displays will dwarf that of Boston.

For the money he's going to spend, it's well worth the trip.

Any chance you can take me offshore fishing on that boat?? Holy Guacamole, that's an incredible ride.

The trip to Miami probably isn't in the cards... Trust me, I tried.

And yeah, the boat is going to be incredible. 1000 Horse Cat C-18, 12kW Northern Light Genset, rail-mounted A-frame, gonna be sweet.

Well, the decision has been made: Furuno (no surprise).

MFDBB coupled to 2x 15" monitors on the Cap's port side (Dual-Range Radar on one, Bottom machine on the other).
DRS6A 6kW 4' Array Radar
DFF1 Bottom Machine with 1kW Bronze Xducer
NavPilot 700 Auto Pilot
iCOM AIS (bleh, but the price is right)
Standard Horizon GX5000/GX2150AIS VFH/Fog/LoudHailer
BBWX1 4-port ethernet switch with Sirius weather
A NMEA2K DGPS antenna or other, I forget which one exactly.

PC Plotter running on a fanless Atom PC.

Total equipment cost: $21K or so.

I highly doubt anyone would set foot on the boat without permission. Plus, it'll be well guarded.
Here are some pictures from the last trip I made up to Maine:
Lazarette and dual stainless ram steering
uTiNC.jpg

Hauler plate and rear steering station
Bw1o1.jpg

Inside steering station. Dual 15" LCDs going on the angle on the port side, the VHFs and AIS going on the stbdside angle. A pair of 19" LCDs mounted up on the console, forward as far as they'll go. Flushmount looks great, but isn't practical given the space constraints (seriously, 55' isn't enough)
gCj3E.jpg

Cat C18, 1KHP.
38" diameter, 42" pitch...
cL3xY.jpg

Ahhh, Clark Island Boatworks, they build some sick sh!t!!!!

Been following the build on the Facebook page, can't wait to see it finished!!

Can I get a ride?? :D :D :D

Bryan 2530":1bcwbk5y said:
Ahhh, Clark Island Boatworks, they build some sick sh!t!!!!

Been following the build on the Facebook page, can't wait to see it finished!!

Can I get a ride?? :D :D :D
Wow, didn't know Andrew and Dan had a following here on the Parker forums.
Good eye Bryan... and I bet the boat will be down in CT at some point for a job in the Sound.
I'll be in touch, once its done.

sparky":2qcpi7gt said:
I bet the boat will be down in CT at some point for a job in the Sound.

Cool! 8) 8) 8)

What power is going in her??

Bryan 2530":2h8h2c4b said:
sparky":2h8h2c4b said:
I bet the boat will be down in CT at some point for a job in the Sound.

Cool! 8) 8) 8)

What power is going in her??
Cat C18, 1000 horse.
Hydraulic bow thruster too.

Now here's a question for all of you. VHF and AIS Antennae...

I've had great luck with Shakespeare, and not-so-good-luck with Digital. The guy doing the electronics install wants to use Digitals, but I'm sticking by Shakespeare. I don't know jack about AIS, however.

I've also seen the new Phase III antennae, which look like a nice upgrade, but I have no experience with them. The full-foam-filling is really key in my mind.

Anyone got any advice regarding antennas?

sparky":32wp22aq said:

I've had great luck with Shakespeare, and not-so-good-luck with Digital. The guy doing the electronics install wants to use Digitals, but I'm sticking by Shakespeare. I don't know jack about AIS, however.

My experience mirrors yours. I tested over 30 setups at my boat club with only my measley ~$100 retail VHF/SWR meter, but the TOP performers were all Shakespeare Galaxy model antennas, most using Std-Horizon sets too. FWIW even Powerboat Reports tests showed Shakespeare antennas were the ones to beat.

Digitals were 'OK', but I'd opine they're 'digital' in name only. Oh, and buy from BOE Marine and tell them we (CP) sent you!

sparky":1zjg7nc1 said:
... but the Cap wants to support his local guy, who will be doing the install and support after-the-sale.
Actually, I too do try and support my local purveyors where it makes sense for me to do so ...

I've no experience with any of that new stuff ...

Bryan 2530":2qb51yqc said:
Sparky's new boat!!

Man, you need to take me for a ride if you are ever in the Sound!!!!!

http://downeastboatforum.com/downeast-b ... -2789.html

I registered for that forum and made a post... trying to get the word out about the boat in the research community.

Yep, she's in the water, heading to Hull late this week. I'll post some pictures below:
jh_trial.jpg

jh_trial2.jpg

Unluckily, the beautiful wood deck is gone... It started warping, cupping, splitting, etc... Sad sad day.

I'm the guy in the long sleeves and grey hat... as usual, the cap is in the green shirt sitting next to me for the trip o'er the road:

Attachments

• JH2_rs.jpg
    JH2_rs.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 178
sparky":46b4nbh9 said:

I've also seen the new Phase III antennae, which look like a nice upgrade, but I have no experience with them. The full-foam-filling is really key in my mind.

I bought a Phase 111 antenna this winter
And I love it
If I'm in Salem Harbor I can get Brant rock Sea Tow auto reply as clear as a bell 35-40 miles as the crow flies
I had a Galaxy for 9 years and have a shakespeare Eclipse radio
I think the phase111 is a great pick big diffeance over the Galaxy if you can believe it
And I think the Galaxy is great too but the Phase111 is the new flag ship for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu9VwyFO0Wk

Thanks. I'll be sure to tell the Cap. I love how low the pilothouse looks, kinda reminds me of a Mercury Lead Sled from the 50's. Amazingly, it has excellent sight lines from inside. It just looks low because of how long it is.

Back