Merc Rev IV x Four

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradV

Reaction score
one would think a quad powered boat would be stern heavy. I would imagine bite is a major factor for the outside motors when running 4 so that would explain why they use the Rev 4 never a problem hooking up.

Merc does make fantastic props. I would argue that they are the best. While I dont think another prop bites like the rev4, I had ventilation issues at slow speeds with the Rev4. I actually like the Enetia better.

I will also say that I my first powertech prop too and I am very impressed by it as well. I run an OFX 4 blade and she bites great! I can hold plane at like 10-12mph without tabs and she will put you on your seat with acceleration.

transom_161.jpg

I know there gotta be some jealous 2520 owners on here reading you can plane at 10-12!!!!! How long and how heavy is that judge???

B-Faithful":2clzfh3g said:
Merc does make fantastic props.
Probably THE best stock line up in props there is. Plus with their interchangeable hub system, you can use them on other makes.

I will also say that I my first powertech prop too and I am very impressed by it as well. I run an OFX 4 blade and she bites great!
Good to know, as I have a 15x15 same on order, since Merc was out-of-stock with the Rev4 version.

I can hold plane at like 10-12mph without tabs and she will put you on your seat with acceleration.
Tabs are the key ingredient there, Capt Kevin's and my rig are almost identical, less motor brand, and we can both hold on plane ~13mph. I don;t like to though ... as it sure kills the mpg, haha!

B-Faithful":lk37im67 said:
dale, do you have the ofs or the ofx on order?
You know? No idea ... but Ken from PropGods recommended it as an alternate to replace the Merc Rev4 we could not get in a ~15" by 15" prop. [EDIT: Only because Merc is out-of-stock on this prop at the moment, as it is not a big seller, due to the low pitch#]

OFS4 – 15.25” diameter, available in 15” to 27” pitch, 4 blade, right and left hand rotation, moderate high rake with full tip, good for single engine and twin engine offshore applications and sterndrives.

OFX4 – 15.25” diameter, available in 14” to 28” pitch, 4 blade, right and left hand rotation, moderately high rake, high aspect ratio x-cut geometry, aggressive cupping, better grip and motor elevation capability than OFS3, used on many high performance flats, bays, and muscle boats, specially where grip is at a premium.

Photo below ...

Attachments

• PTech-Props.jpg
    PTech-Props.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 242
I have the OFX and am very pleased. I don't think the ofs bites as much as the the ofx. Judge tedted a lot of pt props with the honda and the ofx worked the best.by far.

B-Faithful":14klmv6l said:
I have the OFX and am very pleased. I don't think the ofs bites as much as the the ofx. Judge tested a lot of pt props with the honda and the ofx worked the best.by far.

FWIW I just got an email from Jeff @ PowerTech and confirmed with Ken from PropGods. Whilst the OFX stays hooked up better, she isn't the best for mid-range/cruising performance, which is my primary goal. Thus they ordered me the OFS prop for best miles-per-gallon ... but hey, I'm a cheap bast#$d!

Gentleman:

I just recieved my new Mercury Rev 4 / 17 pitch prop from Ken at Prop Gods. It took a couple of weeks to get as they were on back order. I would highly reccomend Prop Gods to anyone! Ken is great to talk to about your prop solutions!
As soon as I have time to install I will report performance findings. Most of my use is in the Potomac River so I dont know how it will compare to others in the bay and offshore.
I have a 2008 2520XL with a Yamaha 250 fourstroke.

Catfish

Ken shipped my Rev 4 today so I'm looking foward to getting it tomorrow. Seems to be a popular prop for Parker owners and I'm sure we're helping to keep Ken in business. Let us know your performance #'s.

gray duck":31904lig said:
I know there gotta be some jealous 2520 owners on here reading you can plane at 10-12!!!!!

On July 4th, I came home from north of Cambridge MD on the Choptank River into the Chessie in SCW conditions (winds 25 out of the W).
At one point near Sharps Island Light, I was running my 2520 MVSC at 8 kts, and was still on plane.

Of course, I was using my tabs to keep the bow down (24x9 Bennetts) so the ride was reasonable... so that could account for some of it. I'd been a low as 10 kts in the past, but this was the slowest I'd even run while still on plane, so I was pretty surprised.

Once we got across the Bay and had the protection of the land, I was able to run her at 17kts most of the way home.

Love staying dry in the pilothouse! :)

Yeah the mod v parkers hold plane at slow speeds too.. I am with you on the pilothouse thing Kev! I like to bring that up to the CC guys more in the early spring and late fall though :lol:

Dale, keep us posted to how that prop does for you. I will be curious as I am getting less prop slip with my PT prop than I did with my Merc props too. However the PT prop does have a greater diameter than the rev 4. I am swinging a 15.25x15 myself with a 1.86:1 gear ratio. I am hitting about 5800-5900 rpms at wot and will hit 39-40mph. As this is my first PT prop, I must say I am impressed..

Back