Mold growing on gear stored inside console?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djw1

Reaction score
Hey guys whats everyone do to keep the mold growth at bay on your stored gear inside center consoles? All my cushions, ropes, emergency gear got nasty black mold......any tricks like putting in ventalation holes help?

What do i use to clean the cushions and gear now, soap and a bit of bleach/water combo?

djw1":2ekco0lf said:
Hey guys whats everyone do to keep the mold growth at bay on your stored gear inside center consoles? All my cushions, ropes, emergency gear got nasty black mold......any tricks like putting in ventalation holes help?

This is what I do on my deck, you should so something similar for your console, see here. Even simple SS louvers will help, installed on at least 3-sides (preferred) of console, to allow fresh air in and stale air/moisture out. These are only $5 each from WhiteCap Industries at your local boat store.

wcps1326.jpg

djw1":2ekco0lf said:
What do i use to clean the cushions and gear now, soap and a bit of bleach/water combo?

Mold, fungus, and mildew are vegetative growths which are caused by spores in the air. They thrive in warm, damp, dark poorly ventilated environments such as a shower area in a bathroom. In order to eliminate mildew you cannot just clean it away. Instead, you must kill it like a weed on your front lawn. A disinfectant cleaner with mold and mildew claims will kill these fungi when used according to label directions. The amount of time on a surface increases the effectiveness of these products.

The least expensive solution to this problem (and more aggressive to surface) is common bleach, as a sanitizer which will kill mold and mildew on contact. Mix one part of chlorine bleach diluted with 3 parts of water, allow to stand on surface for 10 to15 minutes, agitate with a soft scrub brush, rinsed down with water, and allow to air dry. TEST AN INCONSPICUOUS AREA WITH BLEACH BEFORE ATTEMPTING AN ENTIRE AREA. IF DISCOLORATION OCCURS, FURTHER DILUTE BLEACH WITH WATER.

Your next option would be store-bought X-14®, Tilex® etc. with the same instructions as bleach. Then, an EPA registered spray disinfectant with mold mildew claims like Lysol®.

The latest, revolutionary "green" user-friendly, environmentally preferred product to perform this type of cleaning task is "H2Orange2®". It is a total, neutral PH product when added to water and has the lowest toxicity of any product in the marketplace. It contains only 3 ingredients: natural citrus oil (from orange peel) which penetrates and breaks down soils; Surfactants (detergency) which dissolve and suspend soils to prevent streaking; and hydrogen peroxide which OXIDIZES MOLD AND MILDEW, acts as an optical brightener, and safely bleaches out stains.
NOTE: Always test an inconspicuous area for colorfastness, etc. before treating the exposed area. Also note that certain stains are permanent.

Ref: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/moldmildew

Thanx daleH!

Now why wouldn't Parker put vents in a CC to keep this from happening since it is the only real storage area on the boat besides the front cooler seat.

The louvers vents are actually on my project list as I get the same thing on my throw cushions, etc. in my 2100 console. Haven't decided on placement yet, but if you take on this project - please post pictures and results!

I use a 3m product that kills mold as it doesn't require a water rinse afterwards as the inside of a console isn't condusive to a lot of drainage.

It does put off quite a fume, so make sure you use a mask or try and vent area as much as possible.

djw1":1kdmgeu3 said:
why wouldn't Parker put vents in a CC to keep this from happening since it is the only real storage area on the boat besides the front cooler seat.

Ventilation of enclosed spaces is a common problem on any boat, and depending on where you live (Maine to Florida, east coast, gulf coast, or west coast) conditions are different, and solutions to prevent moisture and mold are too.

Bottom line... depending on where you live, and the conditions you boat in, the amount of ventilation can vary wildly.

In the spring, I have found mold under the washboards of my boat. Bleach in a spray bottle (50/50) takes care of the problem. It might work for you too. :wink:

djw1":359wjz15 said:
Thanx daleH!

Now why wouldn't Parker put vents in a CC to keep this from happening since it is the only real storage area on the boat besides the front cooler seat.

I live in San Diego and keep my 2120 on a trailer. It is fairly dry here and mold and mildew is not much of an issue. I do keep my windows a bit open but it is parked securley. I would rather not have any more openings in the pilot house than I have to. more drafts more salt water. I think if you need vents put them in but if you dont you are better of without them.

I have 2 of those buckets of damp away dehumidifiers in my console. I have a 23SE. I dump the moister out once a week or so, and I just leave them in there all the time, even when running.

Also I built a cedar floor out of 3/4' 1 by 3's that is in two pieces and that fits inside my console. It just keeps everything 1/2 inch off the floor and is made out of slats to let the air get around it. If I know the weather is good, I will leave the front bench seat propped open a few inches. Never have any mildew problems.

Back