More repower questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhendric

Reaction score
Guys,

First, let me say thank you for humoring me through my research on a repower, your input has already been very helpful.

I do have a couple of more questions. My boat is a 1996 2501 Center consloe DV with twin Yamaha 200s. I am told by Parker and by the bracket manufacturer that I am all good on going to 4 strokes from a weight standpoint. Stainless Marine built my bracket and their one caution is that the bracket accepts engines with a 26" center which eliminates the new Yamaha Offshore engines I know.

My questions are:

1) What other engines require more than 26" centers?
2) Does anyone have a similar vintage 25' Deep V that they replace with twin 4 strokes? How did it actually perform in the real world? Mostly I'm concerned with the trim and the scuppers.
3) REally wacky idea...what do you think of replcing the bracket and going with a single Yamaha 350?...sure would be a lot cheaper and the weight is almost identical to what I have in twins now.

Thanks in advance.

Good to see your post. I have a 1991 25' and have twin 225 Yamahas. I blew a head last year and was looking at a repower with the newer 4 stroke Yamahas but ran into the same problem with the 26" center. I thought about having my local machine shop mod the bracket. It looked like I would have to add about 2" to 3" to fit the newer 28" center required. would have had to fill the old holes, redrill plus add the width. We were pretty sure it was doable and the actual weight differance would have been about -11lbs. the other option was to go down to 150 yamahas which would have fit as is. I really didn't want to give up the horsepower as the boat performs really well with the current setup. After a lot of thought and considering the difference in cost I decided to just put a rebuild power head on and stay with the 225 2 stroke that I had. Although I really like the 4 stroke idea, considering all the stuff I have read about the new 4 stroke I am glad I made the decision I did. Besides I can use the $30K savings to feed the current engines with $4+ fuel and $30 oil. I'll be interested to see any other answers to you question. Let us know what you decide.

Back