Motor up or down when in a slip ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelhookedup

Reaction score
Hi folks, Going to have my 2320 in a slip this year (fresh water lake) the old guy that runs the marina says you need to keep the motor down in the water when the boat is in the slip to keep from having motor troubles. When I look around the marina the boats with outboards all are tilted up out of the water. Any truth to this? I know when I keep the boat in my barn I always put the motor all of the way down. Thanks Sean

Never herd of leaving the motor down when the boat is in the water unless the temp is going to be below freezing. When on land yea i always keep it down

I'm not so sure it is such a clear cut conclusion that motors should be raised. Most of the boats with outboards in my corner of Lake Winnipesaukee leave the motor down. The water is clean and algea build up is minimal. You hop in, start up and go with no downside. A powerwash at the end of the season eliminates the minimal slime that builds up over the course of an entire summer.

CDG":19rekl9o said:
I'm not so sure it is such a clear cut conclusion that motors should be raised. Most of the boats with outboards in my corner of Lake Winnipesaukee leave the motor down. The water is clean and algea build up is minimal. You hop in, start up and go with no downside. A powerwash at the end of the season eliminates the minimal slime that builds up over the course of an entire summer.

Where you at?? We'll be up ther in a few weeks.

Do you have that 2120? So far that is the only Parker I have seen on that Lake.

Motors down?? What a foreign concept, must be nice in sweetwater even if the fish are small. 8)

He says hes on a fresh water lake, but regardless I dont see why you would leave it down, you also have to worry about electrolysis on the lower unit, it doesn't occur as much in fresh water as it does in salt but it is still a possibility, raise it up thats why you got trim just my .02

CDG do you have a 2120 on Lake Whinnie?

Motor up until outside temp is freezing, then motor down in water because water is warmer.

Hi Bryon and Mike -- I do not have a 2120. I have a little 1993 1700CC out of Wolfeboro, and a Mako 195DC. There are actually a few Parkers here and there on Winnipesaukee. One 2500, for example, frequently comes and anchors in a reallyh nice cove right near us, and I know of a couple of others. I know it is a foreign concept for saltwater users to imagine leaving the motor down, but after ten years now of doing just that and having no motor problems and never replacing a zinc, it doesn't seem to be an issue and, thus, why not?

Having the lower unit always in the water just bothers me....I have picked up fishing line around my shaft before and I know if that lower unit was in the water I would have had some intrusion. I know they are designed to be left down without issue and I would respond that isn't a problem until it is a problem.

CDG we will be up for our annual "fishing trip"(drinking trip) the weekend of April 18th maybe we will see you up there.

miky2884":2r79rkw2 said:
CDG we will be up for our annual "fishing trip"(drinking trip) the weekend of April 18th maybe we will see you up there.

NO BEER ALLOWED ON THE BOAT!!!!!!!!

Mike -- Given the way the season is going this year, the usual ice-out Winni fishing near the surface is probably happening today!

Back