Mounting bait tank on bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSkiff2001

Reaction score
11 Days til the launch date with the new boat!!

So as im preparing the boat for the season, Ive been trying to figure out where to mount the 30 gal bait tank. The problem with keeping it inside the boat is the tank is lower then the gunwales so the drain hose would have to be higher then the tank making the water just flow out the top of the tank/lid making the boat a watery slippery mess. Soooo.....my idea was to mount it on the bracket. The boat is a 2002 2520 DV. Motor is a Yami 250 ox66 and there is also a 9.9 kicker in the bracket as well.

The big question is, would putting the 30 gal (240ish lbs full of water) on the bracket be bad for it in any way? As talked about in an earlier post, the boat is rated for 500 hp, however Armstrong Bracket said I couldnt put a 300hp 4stroke on due to weight (which we all thought was absurd!!). Thoughts???

How well does she get out of the water? I'm assuming that the bait well would be mounted on the opposite side of the kicker, but you're putting a decent amount of weight on the stern. I'm guessing the bracket wouldn't care, but how would that effect your control when getting out of the hole?, when running? Do you have oversized tabs? Will she drift differently? I guess 30 gallons is only roughly 250lbs, but I'm just thinking out loud…..

How well does she get out of the water? I'm assuming that the bait well would be mounted on the opposite side of the kicker, but you're putting a decent amount of weight on the stern. I'm guessing the bracket wouldn't care, but how would that effect your control when getting out of the hole?, when running? Do you have oversized tabs? Will she drift differently? I guess 30 gallons is only roughly 250lbs, but I'm just thinking out loud…..

Yes that is a problem with a short livewell.

2 problems with Livewell on the bracket.

1] weight where you don't want it. The farther back the worse it is.

2] Losing baits. Trying to dip baits off the bracket is a PITA...Never mind if it flopps out.....It's GONE! Not so if it's over the deck.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12419&start=300

I bought it from a Plastic's company. This makes it portable. The size takes up a small piece of deck space.

I guess the big question is, would it do any damage to the bracket? I'm not to concerned with it changing the ride to much as the distance traveled isn't to far, 2-8 miles in the Sound. The boat has the stock tabs on it.

The problem with draining the tank out the scupper is the drain hose is a 2 inch hose and the scuppers are 1 inch. The 2 inch hose is actually not even big enough to drain the the same amount of water the pump puts out causing overflow. I considered making the drain hose hole lower in the tank, but who knows if i lower it if itll be low enough or to low maintain a full tank.

I figured by just putting the tank on the bracket it will solve more then one problem.....more room on deck, any overflow wont be on the deck. When i stand on the bracket it doesnt move at all or flex. But im also 100 lbs less then the bait tank. My only conern is that there is really no support under the bracket where the tank would go like there is where the motor is mounted.

On the contrary, doesnt the back of the boat take the least amount of beating?

Like wart sated having it on the bracket the weight inst so much the concern its trying to get whatever bait you have in there out.
I know when we are stripper fishing up here we are going through baits sometimes 2 or 3 a drift to have to reach over the transom and try to get them out of the livewell is nearly impossible never mind the fact of loosing the bait to back in the water.
Just my .02 but having it on the bracket is not ideal.

So if im understanding this correctly, the weight of the tank shouldnt be an issue on the bracket. However, it could effect the ride cause of the added weight on one side?? Im thinking netting a scup or bunker out of the tank with a net should be pretty easy from inside the boat.

The "Standard" is 3/4in inlet hose and 1 1/2in overflow for any Livewell.

Now....There needs to be flow control AND.....you can put to big of a pump on it.

I had to turn the flow down on mine when I put Pinfish in it.....We had Eel's previously.....The flow was so strong it beat the baits up....Once turned down they were happy.

If you go to the Kodiak baitwell site.....There is a LOT of info on sizing.

http://kodiakmarine.com/bait_pumps.html

Back