NC Bottom Fishing 12/12/15

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windknotnc

Reaction score
We got to the ramp about 6:45 and realized the front passenger side tire on the trailer was flat. Decided to deal with it when we got back in the afternoon. Headed East across the shoals with flat seas and lots of life around. Hit a few spots in 62-63 degree water with nothing to show. Made a move towards Atlas tanker and found some 75 degree water, but still no fish. The wind and seas picked up and we had a wet ride into a head sea back across the shoals to some more bottom spots. On the way, we marked an enormous school of gray trout and croakers on the bottom in 115ft of water. Every drop was pulling up 10-12" gray trout. Never seen them offshore before.

Finally made it to a spot about 100ft and the first drift produced a nice beeliner and a trigger. Current was ripping and kept popping the zip ties for the breakaway on the anchor, but eventually got it set. Started pulling up triggers and seabass and then BAM - red snapper. Quick picture and a release with no need to vent. We were marking suspended fish so my son dropped a rig to about 75' and got hammered. his rod was doubled up and had line peeling off in a hurry. Got it up to the surface and it was the largest triggerfish I've ever seen in person, 21". Into the box it went. I switched to a vertical jig and caught two more red snapper in short order, about 18". Kept pulling in triggerfish almost every drop. My son sent down a butterflied grunt and within 30 seconds hooked up to a nice gag. Quick gaff and it was in the box. Kept trying for another grouper, but the red snapper kept eating the big baits. Released a few more red snapper, including one that had 3 pieces of stolen squid in its mouth. Still not sure how a 20" snapper can steal bait off a 5/0 circle hook. We called it a day around 3:30 and pointed the 23DVCC towards the inlet. The wind and seas flattened out and we ran in at 33 kts. Got back to the ramp and changed the flat tire, got the boat washed and put back in the shelter about the time it got dark. Ended up releasing 6 red snapper, brought home a box of triggers and seabass, along with one gag.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 195
Nice!! I went out Saturday too but had to make it a short day. We got double limit of bsb and a couple short gags. Only went out to little 10.

Back