Need Advice Regarding Pulpit build

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutch9138

Reaction score
Well After searching the net for a decent priced OE style pulpit to go on my 2320, I am contemplating building my own. My goal is to get as close to factory specs as possible. I contacted Parker yesterday, and I asked them the general make of the pulpit. Their "broad" reply was that it has a 1.5" wood core, set in putty, then glassed on. Now my question to you guys (the experts) is this, is that a solid piece of wood or laminated? Also, what do they mean by set in putty?

I'm an aircraft field mechanic by trade, so I can work my way around general composite repairs. With that being said, has anyone on here tried this before (OE style). I'm wondering if this is out of my league.

Hi Cody!
Typically these are built in a mold, the inside is filled with wood (plywood or solid) or divincell or something similar? Any gaps are filled with epoxy or polyester putty. It's then finished off by glassing the bottom, completely encapsulating the wood.

I often see pulpits at Marine Surplus or other outlets. They are pretty reasonably priced. I'd check there first.

Randy,
Thanks for your reply. My plan is to build a mold. So would I glass over the wood first outside of the mold?
Here are my planned steps. Please tell me what i'm missing or need to do.
1 - Build mold to OE specs
2 - Encapsulate wood with resin and glass. (should I use sold or plywood, what type?)
2 - Lay my gel coat in the mold first.
3 - Lay glass and resin top the gel coat.
4 - Install the encapsulated wood in the mold.
5 - Lay more glass creating a solid piece.
6 - Remove mold, cut and sand to specs.
7 - Apply non-skid.

Once again this is all pre-planning, please critique.

Hi Cody!
Close, but no teddy bear.
You do all your gelcoat and laminate layup in the mold first. Then You encapsulate the wood or plywood core in the mold. My recommendation would be to use marine plywood. You can cut the plywood to the correct shape and then glue several layers together to achieve the approximate thickness. Then fill all voids with thickened resin. Make up any difference in thickness with thickened resin. Then do the outer laminations.
Be sure to carefully bed all penetrations properly so you don't have water intrusion into the core.

Thanks for insight Randy. I'm currently in the process of moving my batteries and replacing my scuppers, When I finish with that. I'm going to give the pulpit the O'l College try.

My only concern, is that when I put the wood into the mold that is already layed with gel-coat and fiberglass is air bubbles. There will be no way to roll them out, its got me thinking that won't need a mold.

Any thoughts?

m2cw
something along these lines

decide on core material: marine plywood, teak, mahogany - the later 2 can be purchased at desired thickness

shape with saw, drill all mounting and hardware holes

fit anchor roller in slot, then remove

sand smooth, fill any voids and holes with thin epoxy, sand then epoxy the entire piece, sand , spray gelcoat

attach roller
attach to boat

also consider adding LED light bar on a SS mounting bracket under it where it meets the hull for running in low light or darkness

I expect others with chime in

Personally, I would use 3/4 inch marine ply encapsulated in fiberglass cloth, faired then applied to bow with Arjay 3401 (this is the bonding putty you asked about). Two large 1/2 " thrubolts (maybe 4 depending on space). I would fair the pulpit to the bow using polyester resin, mekp and fairing compound (microballons). Then, spray your gel coat and fair sand it, blend it...that's what I'd do

If you didn't want to mold it into your bow, you could simply UV4000 around the pulpit ( like Parker does from the factory).

Thanks for all the advice, very informative. I will use a 1.5 inch thick wooden core. One more favor for planning purposes. Does anyone have detailed pics handy? I hate to be asking for so much, but every little bit helps. I'm still waiting on the replacement scuppers to come in. BTW they were half the price from first choice marine (after shipping) compared to worst marine, but it has been almost 3 weeks waiting so far. Found some chips in the non-skid cockpit that needs to be repaired, along with some gelcoat in the compartment that has peeled off. These are obviously priority fixes, but the pulpit is still on the to-do list. thanks again.

Back