Need Help with OX66...Again.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireman

Reaction score
I need help with my second issue in the last month.

I have a 1997 Saltwater Series 2 OX66 that was bogging down a month ago. Replaced the filters and a badly clogged VST filter and she ran like new...until 2 days ago.

I ran the boat for several hours with no problems. Cruising home at about 4800 RPM's the boat suddenly lost power. I did not have any alarms going off. I noticed the oil level was in the yellow so I shut off the motor and added a gallon of oil to the main reservoir. I re-started the motor and everything seemed fine. I even looked to see that the motor was still peeing water ok and it was. I started to accelerate and almost at plane the motor lost power again and as I throttled back to neutral it shut off. I looked things over and when I tried to re-start it, nothing happened...just a couple of clicks. I switched from #1 battery to #2 or Both (I can't remember) and the high temp alarm and light activated. I sat looking things over for 20 some minutes and re-checked for the alarm and light. When it finally stopped activating, I tried to re-start and again nothing. The motor won't even turn over. It sounds like it's starting to turn then stops. Everything else appears to be operating normally (Gauges, Radios, Lights, Radar, Depth Finder).

Seems like some kind of electrical issue to me. Called TowBoatUS at 8:30 pm and they pulled me back into the marina at 2:30 am. I tied up and haven't had the opportunity yet to go back to check further.

Any ideas and/or suggestions I can research before I have the chance to check further?

Read this post and it sounded like a similar issue.
http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4169

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Not too sure if it might help but it sounds like you went through the same issue we did with same motor and year we have. Couldn’t figure out what was going on till I saw the grey toggle switch on the motor under the cowling. If you get low on oil and it shuts its self off, you have to fill the oil back up and flip that switch to reset. Might want to give a shot? Good luck and hope you find it.

Steve

Thanks for the suggestion.

Stopped by the marina today but I only had a few minutes to check some things.

I added oil to the reservoir when it shut down the other day. I noticed today the oil level in the tank beside the motor was at or just below the minimum mark. I turned the key to the on position (without starting it - it still wouldn't turnover) and when I held the switch to transfer oil from the reservoir to the tank, it did absolutely nothing. Nothing turned on, no pump, no oil transfer. The marina was already closed for the day and I didn't have any oil that I could have poured directly into the tank.

I didn't have any meters with me to check the pump or wires to see if anything was getting current. Is there a fuse somewhere I should check? If the oil pump stopped running and transferring oil to the tank, would this prevent the motor from not turning over at all?

Thanks for reading and for any help offered.

When you say, the engine wouldn't turn over, I'm reading that as you turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. If oil transfer won't work using the emergency switch (essentially battery going directly to the oil pump, bypassing the computer and sensors) and the starter doesn't engage, what other electrical items may not be working?

If that's the case, then it's sounding like an electrical problem to me. If multiple electricals are out, then I'd think you're looking for something common between them - usually grounds or 12v feed. Shorted cells in a battery could reduce the voltage of that battery, and also rob power of another battery connected to it in parallel, so switching might not give you the full 12v. But I think you'll have to start metering some things to figure out what might be going on.

Low oil wouldn't keep the emergency switch from working the oil pump. After all, that's what it's there for. I don't have the same engine as you, but the one time when my low oil alarm had gone off didn't shut my engine down. Just reduced RPM and that annoying beep. On my '04 150 2-stroke, there are 2 low limit sensors on the main tank (engine). The first low level sensor triggers the oil pump to deliver oil normally. If the level drops below that to the second sensor, then the alarm sounds and engine is limited. Since there are no other sensors below that, I'd say the oil tank could run dry and not shut down my engine.

When last I had to work on an oil delivery problem I had a few years ago, I don't remember finding a fuse anywhere in line, or seeing one indicated on the wiring diagram. Doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I didn't find one.

John

Had the same problem, same engine/same year. Tested the compression before launch, 125 to 128 on all cylinders. Went on first trip, running fine, engine lost power, could never get it back up over 3900 rpm.

pulled the motor, fried piston. Always ran Yamalube, ring free, and all good upkeep. Never ran the motor at unreasonable rpms...eg cruise at 4200 to 4400.

Have a 250 zuke on it now.

Last summer had an issue of it bogging on trying to get on plane...cleaned the carbs, drained the bowls, and replaced the fuel pumps...that solved it.

Good luck. I hope its a low cost repair. I would do a compression check if you can get it to turn over.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I haven't had a chance to follow up yet because of work and a 4 day trip to Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke Island where I was able to admire all the boats that were running properly.

I'll be checking some things this week and hopefully find the problem before I have to call in an expert.

Troy,
There is a filter inline under the on board oil tank, if it is clogged the oil pump will run but can't deliver oil to the on motor tank.

My first check would be to jump the starter directly from the battery with cables.

Assuming you have a good battery and jumper connections if nothing happens you might have seized the motor.

If is spins, fill your on engine oil tank , pop the top and fill it up manually.

A previous poster mentioned replacing the manual fuel pumps, here's why.

These motors are know to get small ripps in the diaphrams of the pumps, they leak raw gas which enters the crankcase and makes the motor run too lean and not have enough oil in the mix.

This can over heat your engine, cause lubication problems and seize the motor.

TO check them ,, loosen the bolts on all three pumps but don't disconnect the fuel lines yet. Pull the pumps slightly off the engine block. Squeeze your primer ball and pump up the line. If fuel leaks out the back of the pump you found your problem.

Yamaha recommends changing them every 2 years.

Good luck

Capt Brian

Good News! I think I've found the problem.

Went a little while ago and added oil to the motor mounted tank. This did nothing. Still not turning over, I decided to check the starter. It is engaging the flywheel as it should, but the motor won't turn over. I started pulling the spark plugs to confirm some suspicions and the very first one I pulled looked as if it had small particles of metal soldered to it, as if something very bad had happened in that cylinder. The other 5 looked fine. I walked that plug and my story over to the marinas mechanic looking for some confirmation as to what my mind kept denying to the rest of my body...that I have big problems. Well...Good News...he said it sounds like I have a powerhead that's gonna need replacing.

I'm so relieved that it wasn't something minor that can be fixed for a few bucks or by myself. Now I don't have to worry about throwing away thousands of dollars on home improvements, family vacations or anything extra that my family or I would not really enjoy anyway. Looks like I get to invest more money into making this Parker the best it can be. Just waiting now for the final estimate as to what this situation is going to cost.

And this just in...BP is reporting the oil has stopped leaking into the gulf. Good news all around today for everyone.

:D

Troy,
Glad you can take it with a sense of humor.

Check the maunal fuel pumps the way I posted earlier. I'd bet it was them or a lack of oil in the on board tank that caused the problem.

You might want to consider getting a new 4 stroke instead of putting a powerhead on a 10 year old lower unit. They don't last forever either.

Capt Brian

Thanks for the feedback Capt. Brian & Capt. Kevin.

I highly value the posts and suggestions you guys have. I'm trying to get this posted before my sleep aid kicks in. (the same sleep aid they won't let me use at work) :(

1. Should I use a re-manufactured Yamaha OX66 powerhead.

2. Should I look to purchase a New Yamaha OX66 powerhead.

3 Should I look at swithching to another manufacturer, model or stroke?

4. 2 Stroke to 4 Stroke?

Everyone has an opinion. Would you like to share yours because I'd love to listen, learn and decide with your help what manufacture will get some money from my childs college fund. SShhhh...she's only 9. I have plenty more years to put the money back. She'll never know.

Thanks again and I'm listening. :D

You will get a lot of opinion on this.

Some will say the motor is too old to put money into, and you should replace it.
I am not one of those folks.
The Yamaha OX66 is one of the best motors that Yamaha ever built (IMHO).

Many years ago, I worked in an industry that built medical equipment.
I worked in an area that remanufactured worn out parts.
Bottom line?
Our reman parts were superior to 'factory new'.
If it were me, I'd seriously consider a reman power head from a reputable shop.

A new 4-stroke motor would be great, and I'd love to own one myself... but my 1997 vintage OX66 has been a great motor thus far (with proper care), and I'd have to think long and hard before discarding her. 8)

As always, YMMV.

I would look for a good running used OX66. Lots of them out there now...and there will be even more soon with the release of the new Yamaha 4-strokes. You should be able to pick one up cheap and you'll still have your current motor for spare parts.

I agree with buying a used motor, just have it checked out by a mechanic before you buy.

You could sell yours for the lower unit and electical parts or if you buy the same replacement motor used keep your current one for parts

Putting on a new or reman power head or a new 4 stroke on a 1994 boat
doesn't make sense unless you plan on keeping it for 10 years.

Your engine would be worth more than the hull.

Good used motors can be had for less than 4k.

Good luck.

Capt Brian

I would like to keep the boat for awhile.

What's the opinion of hanging a new 4 stroke Yamaha on it? Where's the best place to look for new motors?

Back