Need some Outrigger help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelhookedup

Reaction score
Hi Folks, This forum has been great for the last three years I have been rigging my 2320, now I have another question. Well today I got my TACO Grand Slam 270 outrigger kit with 15ft TELE-Outriggers. My first reaction was dang they are heavy, and my next thought is my pilot house roof going to hold up. I am going to mount them behind the rocket launcher. The directions from TACO say if the hard top is strong enough to walk on, it is usually strong enough to mount an outrigger on it. What do you think? I have a backing plates, my only problem is the backing plate will have to go on the inside of the pilot house roof so I will have to fill the void between the two layers of the hard top so when I tighten thing down I dont break the inside layer. Any thoughts? I searched every past post I could find on the forum and I found a couple that had done it the same way, and have not found any post with problems reported. Every other area on the boat I have drilled holes in has been more than rugged enough. Thanks for all of your help Sean

What are you trolling for??

I just went to a seminar this week on trolling for tuna out of small outboard boats, the presenter said don't even bother with Taco's, especially the telescoping ones.

Other than that, the pilot house roof is plenty strong.

Thanks Bryan, I fish fresh water lakes for trout and salmon, Finger Lakes and Ontario and have been on another Capt's boat who used them for running long copper lines and a third dipsey diver rod, or 1lb lead balls with wire. We just had the law pass this last year to let us run three rods per person from two. So it is just another way to get two more rods out past my 10 ft diver rods. I will be running inline planer boards at the same time on the outside of the riggers. I wish I wasout tuna fishing, the trolling we do is all slower at 1 to 3mph at the most. When my wife looked at them on the living room floor tonight she was like you are using this for trout and salmon :lol: . I couldnt tell her I just like to add new things to the boat. LOL Sean

Yes the taco's are heavy. On our 23SE we used backing plates and run the taco 350's with 15' telescopics. I tried 18' telescopics and went back to the 15's.
We can pull 2 4' spreader bars on each side, and get the baits to swim. Some bars have splash birds and sometimes we run them with out splash. You'll be fine with tacos and you'll be fine with telescopics.
I also use rupp knockouts. I zip tie the wire that connect to the snap swivels on the 400 pound test mono.
Yes there is a ton of pressure on the telescopic poles for sure. Yes there is a learning curve to getting your baits to swim correctly.
On my new boat I have rupp bases, but they are welded into the t-top structure. I run 18' telescopic outrigger poles and an 18' telescopic center rigger.

I got Taco grand slam's on my 2320 w/15' poles but i mounted so the handles where inside the pilot house and it works great been offshore a couple times no problems. A friend of mine had 18' poles on his CC 23' which where to long they did alot of whipping around he switch to the 15' poles no problems since.

I considered the top mount outriggers, but ended up with Lee Jr wishbones mounted to the side of the PH.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Back