New 2110 to do list

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work. You are further along than I am.
I'm still waiting for it to get a little warmer before I take my cover off and get started.

Megabyte":bi74ox4l said:
Nice work. You are further along than I am.
I'm still waiting for it to get a little warmer before I take my cover off and get started.
Thanks Megabyte! I usually don't start this early either, but I want to get the old girl ready by the time the water warms up. With my other boats that are already in usable condition it's usually just one weekend worth of preseason maint. and I'm good to go. Since I just picked this one up, there was quite a bit to be done to get things up to my "standards" so to speak so I figured I'd better get moving. I'm shooting for having everything else done by the time my gel coat shows up so that can be the last thing I need to do. Wishful thinking I know, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I just hope that transom will dry out, I know it's hard to dry something encapsulated in glass! I rally hated to drill more holes in the boat but I figured that hole in the lowest point was my best shot at getting water out of there.

Hi There Willie!
Get some Clear Penatrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES). It's made by Smith & Co.
Their website is : http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/
You can also use "Git Rot" and Jamestown Dist has a competing product too.

CPES is about the viscosity of diesel fuel. As you can guess from the name it penetrates into the cellular structure of wood, killing rot and stabilizing it. It sounds like your transom isn't ready for replacement just yet and a good dose or two of CPES might solve your problem. CPES is also sold by a company called the Rot Doctor. Their website holds a wealth of information. http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

I use their product as a sealer before varnishing teak. Some of you dedicated Parker owners may not be familiar with teak. It is an oily tan/brown tropical wood which readily absorbs huge quantities of time and money. I'm sure glad my Parker doesn't have any!

rwp48":10tf3hls said:
Hi There Willie!
Get some Clear Penatrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES). It's made by Smith & Co.
Their website is : http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/
You can also use "Git Rot" and Jamestown Dist has a competing product too.

CPES is about the viscosity of diesel fuel. As you can guess from the name it penetrates into the cellular structure of wood, killing rot and stabilizing it. It sounds like your transom isn't ready for replacement just yet and a good dose or two of CPES might solve your problem. CPES is also sold by a company called the Rot Doctor. Their website holds a wealth of information. http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

I use their product as a sealer before varnishing teak. Some of you dedicated Parker owners may not be familiar with teak. It is an oily tan/brown tropical wood which readily absorbs huge quantities of time and money. I'm sure glad my Parker doesn't have any!
Thanks for the recommendation bud! I already bought some penetrating epoxy which I am pretty sure is the same stuff, only it's West Marine's brand. I had planned on using that to wet out my holes that I am plugging before using the thickened epoxy so I get a bEtter "bite". I bought it even before I found the damp spot in the transom. However, I have some great news! My buddy who is letting me store my boat in his shop while I'm doing all the work (and he's helping me also. It's great to have good friends like that) called me last night and said that he checked on the transom when he got home from work at it was already dry as a bone! He said he dug around in the holes with a Q-tip and there was NO moistue at all in there! I guess I caught it in time but we're gonna leave the fan running on it until my gel coat shows up just to be safe. Needless to say that made my night. Guess my theory was right that the water was trapped in the void and didn't get to the wood. Also, probing around in the holes shows nothing but nice solid wood so I am confident (and lucky) I caught it in time.

Ok guys, I got quite a bit done again this weekend. I pulled the engine and wet out all the penetrations on the transom, also wet all holes in the dash that were not factory. The factory holes for the gauges and such were all gel coated after they were cut but the holes the previous owner drilled for the GPS and fish finder were not. No damage was done but I pulled all that stuff and wet them out real good to keep it that way. Also got the water pump in the engine and changed the gear oil. My gel coat came in so I also repaired some small gel coat damage from removing the splashwell so I could get in the bilge bettrer to work. They must have put that in with 5200 because it DID NOT want to come up. Also repaired some small scrapes on the hull from bumping the trailer and such. One thing I would like to pass along, if any of you want to replace the scuppers on a 2110 or any othe similarly styled Parker, do it while you have the engine off. It's SOOO much easier to get to them with the engine off so you can bend over the transom from outside the boat down through the bilge hatch. I'm definitely putting the new scuppers in before I hang the engine back on. Hope that helps someone down the road. Sorry I didn't take any more pics but I'm gaining ground! Wish me luck guys and thanks again for your help along the way!

Back