New boat and new project! Hello classic Parker! (pics!)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainsauls

Reaction score
Hello!!! There is a wealth of good information on this site for sure!!!!

A little about me....

I run boats for a living. Currently I run a large ocean going towing vessel. I come from a long line of commercial fisherman. I love boats and being on the water. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who shares an infatuation of the water with me!

The new old project
I recently purchased a 1995 2520 with an I/O Volvo ad41p-a
The roof needs to be re-cored
The deck is soft in some places
I'll probable find more issues as I go

Recent upgrades
I made these upgrades just to get me through the summer months as I bought the boat last spring. When I purchased the boat it had a large inverter (for sale now) to run some outlets and a mermaid marine AC. I didn't' like the inverter set up as I wanted air conditioning with the engine not running sometimes. I installed a "next generation power" 3.5kw generator. That thing is a life saver! I had a custom enclosure built to cover in as it sits on the deck. (Stbd side just aft of the house)

Next was the dash and electronics. I had all the old junk ripped out and loaded up a new garmin 7612 flush mounted with a HD radar and airman through hell ducer. I work with the best electronics money can buy, and even I think this garmin is a sweet machine.

Projects to come:

Do some small engine tweaking (standard Volvo overheating issues)
Replace the deck and any other rotten wood I can find with composite materials
Build some sort of efficient seating / storage in the house
Re-wire and re plumb the entire boat
Paint the exterior
Try and find some useful space under the deck for more storage
Affixe carpet or a similar material on all surfaces of the interior space to kill some noise
Sea deck the interior deck
Have a pulpit built
Install windlass
Alter bow rail
Move running light to the top of the wheel house
Move batteries from bilge to inside the house in one of the seating storage compartments to be built

It's going to be a long winter! Can't wait to start cutting! All input is welcome! I'll post pics in the comments from my phone. Smooth sailing guys!

Also I'm from Panama City Florida.
-Josh

Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple items I'm looking for?
1. Are Parker pulpits affordable vs. having one built out of aluminum?
2. Should I put carpet on all the interior bulkheads and overheads? It's kind of loud in there and I'm looking to kill some of the noise.

Any and all input it welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Captainsauls":2aub7pyy said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple items I'm looking for?
1. Are Parker pulpits affordable vs. having one built out of aluminum?
2. Should I put carpet on all the interior bulkheads and overheads? It's kind of loud in there and I'm looking to kill some of the noise.

#1. Easier and simpler to build one out of wood and fiberglass. See member Warthog5's project post in his '95 2530 thread in the Projects section.
Or... you simply buy one from Parker. Your dealer could source it for you.

#2. You could, but honestly, some people here who have the factory applied carpet would eliminate it if they could.
If you decided that you still wanted to go that route, once again, your dealer is a source (and it might already be pre-cut).

Does anyone else find that it's like being inside a drum when running their Parker?
Other than the carpet, anyone have any other ideas on how to quiet down the cabin when running?

Captainsauls":1bmirv9t said:
Does anyone else find that it's like being inside a drum when running their Parker?
Other than the carpet, anyone have any other ideas on how to quiet down the cabin when running?

I don't, but then mine was carpeted at the factory.

Attachments

• Image-0B0288F859B911DC.jpg
    Image-0B0288F859B911DC.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 402
Welcome to CP and nice pics of your boat. Interesting with the diesel I/O. I would be interested in the performance numbers with that power. Pretty cool. I recognized Shell Island I think in one of the pics. My brother kept a boat at Massalina Bayou in DT PC years ago (20ish). Spent some good time there but haven't been back in many years. There used to be a pod of Dolphins by the island that you could snorkel with and feed from you hand. It was cool. As far as the interior liner goes, I think your almost better off if it's bare. Easy to clean and no issues with mold. I'm about to do a big cleaning job on mine when I bring it home for some winter projects in a few months. Nice boat and looking forward to seeing the projects etc...

Nice boat, Good pics!
I bought a Parker bowsprit for my 1995 2520 straight inboard for approx. $700. Simple install. They even sent new LED nav lights because you have to remove the orig. mounted on center.
Carpet on the floor helps a lot with the noise level inside. Good luck with your boat.

TWOBOATER":pa6i9b67 said:
Nice boat, Good pics!
I bought a Parker bowsprit for my 1995 2520 straight inboard for approx. $700. Simple install. They even sent new LED nav lights because you have to remove the orig. mounted on center.
Carpet on the floor helps a lot with the noise level inside. Good luck with your boat.

thanks for the pointers TWOBOATER stay safe capt
nice looking tug btw!

shawnee83":3kuw72cc said:
Welcome to CP and nice pics of your boat. Interesting with the diesel I/O. I would be interested in the performance numbers with that power. Pretty cool. I recognized Shell Island I think in one of the pics. My brother kept a boat at Massalina Bayou in DT PC years ago (20ish). Spent some good time there but haven't been back in many years. There used to be a pod of Dolphins by the island that you could snorkel with and feed from you hand. It was cool. As far as the interior liner goes, I think your almost better off if it's bare. Easy to clean and no issues with mold. I'm about to do a big cleaning job on mine when I bring it home for some winter projects in a few months. Nice boat and looking forward to seeing the projects etc...

Yup thats good ole shell island! the dolphins are still there, DO NOT FEED THEM ANYMORE! Hippies started complaining and now they put people in jail for feeding them :roll: ...... Its ok if they rip a 12lb snapper off your hook though.....

I'll try to find an alternative to the carpet

as for performance goes I'm not really thrilled. economy is good but she is SSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWWW out of the hole....

cruising 18-20 knots i'm burning about 5-6 GPH (rough guess)
WOT 25 knots burning around 11ish GPH

Captainsauls":1i2wam0i said:

With my 225 OX66, at a 20 kt cruise (4000 to 4200 depending on seas) I'm burning about 13 gph.
WOT is 5100 rpm at 34 kts burning a little over 26 gph. (I only do that in short bursts) :)

I'd say your boat, tho not fast, she is thrifty. :wink:

Megabyte":1om4417v said:
Captainsauls":1om4417v said:

With my 225 OX66, at a 20 kt cruise (4000 to 4200 depending on seas) I'm burning about 13 gph.
WOT is 5100 rpm at 34 kts burning a little over 26 gph. (I only do that in short bursts) :)

I'd say your boat, tho not fast, she is thrifty. :wink:

I'd be happy with the 20 knot cruise if I could jump out of the water with the boat loaded in say 20 seconds lol With a load it is just crazy how long it takes to come out of the water. The passengers start looking at you funny with that "is she going to make it?" look.

Captainsauls,
Nice post, I have a similar boat to you that I am in the process of putting together. Is yours a mod V? I have a deep V with the same engine? Would you happen to know what props you are running? I am in the need of a set and am not sure what to get. I know she is going to be a dog but you cant beat the efficiency.

Back